Chapter Twelve

//Maddie

I woke up and breathed in the same, familiar hospital air that I hated so much. I was disturbed by loud knocking sounds by the door. A big nurse came in shortly with a tray on her hands.

"Breakfast, Missy. Eat," she said so sternly. She left the tray on the table and left without saying any more.

I was too tired to sit up. It was still like 7:30 and I'm the type of person who sleeps like a pig in the morning and wakes up around noon. But wait, does my nose deceive me?

"Shrimp," I murmured as I sat up immediately. And hell yes I was right. Three pieces of big shrimp and a cup of rice. Oh God, I didn't know this hospital served shrimp this big. Well, I didn't know this hospital served shrimp period. They usually just serve hurriedly cooked vegetables and shit like that or whatever. But I didn't care, I love shrimp. Shrimp is my tummy heaven.

So I ate and ate. When I felt that my tummy couldn't take anymore, I took two big gulps of water. I was about to go back to sleep when I heard my phone ring. It was mom. Oh God, does she even know I'm here?

"Hi Mom."

"Hi dear. Where in the world are you?"

Shit. "Uhmm.. I'm at Danny's. Sorry, I forgot to tell you. My friend had this party and.."

"Save your excuses dear. I just need you to do one thing for me."

"Anything for my beautiful mom. What is it?"

"I need you to buy me a new pack of tampons. I'm running out of them, and I'm not sure if I could find the time to buy some. I'll pay you later. I expect you to be home with my tampons before seven tonight, okay sweetie? Now I got to go, I still have this paperwork due today and I am on my period and God this is so stressful and ..."

"Uhh.. Okay Mom.  I get it."

"Okay. Goodbye, love you!" and she hung up.

Hmm. It's the first time my mom asked me to buy her tampons. It was quite weird.

~

"Mom, I'm home!" I shouted as I knocked on the door. It was 7:20 so I was quite late. I was supposed to be home by 6:30 but then forgot Mom's request so I had to go back to the mall and traffic was a bitch. I was knocking heavily for about a minute, hoping for someone to open the door to me, only to realize that it wasn't locked. Stupid girl. So I twisted the knob and opened the door, but there was something unusual with this supposed-to-be-mundane sight.

Rose petals. On the floor.

A whole lot of rose petals leading to the stairs, and up the stairs, and who knows where.

"Mom?" I shouted. I have a feeling that Mom didn't really need any tampons.

I threw her tampons on the couch and I slowly followed the trail. I walked up the stairs, and the trail ended with a whole pile of rose petals by my bedroom's door.. The door was closed.

"M..mom?" I mumbled. I'm not sure if they're playing a trick on me or what, but it's definitely making me nervous. Slowly, I turned the knob. And slowly peeked through the opening. My mind could only imagine so many things that could possibly be behind that door. More flowers? Piles of gifts? Chocolates? A romatic murderer? A girrafe? Ugh I don't freaking know, but I'm about to find out.

And to my surprise, I found

nothing.

Just my ordinary bedroom arrangement. Nothing else. Nothing peculiar, nothing new.

I don't get it.

What are these guys up to? Ugh. What if they're hiding and are about to pop out of nowhere?