Chapter 14 - Lover (Edited)

__________

"Can I go where you go? Can we always be this close forever and ever?"__________

__________

Jess's P.O.V

It was another hour before we heard from Grayson again. I didn't want to admit to myself that I hadn't been able to think of anything other than Grayson after he had hung up. When the phone finally rang I practically jumped to go and answer it.

"Hello?" I said into the phone. I put the call onto speaker phone as Avery and Jameson crowded in beside me.

"Did you find him?" Jameson said to his brother. "Jackson Currie?"

"He has a very colorful vocabulary," Grayson responded. "And the land near his shack is booby-trapped."

"Father and his investigator ran into similar issues," Zara said, coming up behind us. I hadn't realized she had entered the room. "They never got a word out of the man. Grayson, you should come home. This is a fool's errand. There are other leads that we could follow."

"Can you get close enough to put me on the phone with him?" Avery asked.

"Assuming no one tries to restrain me..." Grayson glanced behind him and what I could assume were many bodyguards watching his every move. "I can try."

...

We waited as Grayson knocked on the run down shack that Jackson Currie lived in. We were all waiting anxiously for Grayson to get a response from the old man but one never came, even after Grayson knocked for the second time. When Grayson went in for a third knock Avery made him pause.

"See if he'll talk to me," Avery told Grayson. "Tell him..." Her voice trembled as she continued. "Tell him that Hannah's daughter is on the phone. Hannah Rooney."

The screen turned blurry. Grayson must have lowered his phone. Then there was muffled yelling, I couldn't make out any of the words. We waited another minute before Grayson pulled the phone up again, his face a portrait of disappointment and maybe a little frustration.

"I told him. No reply. I think we—" Grayson's voice was cut off by what sounded like dead bolts being thrown open. A moment later another voice came from the phone.

"Where is she?" Jackson Currie grunted.

"Here," Avery said, her voice rising. "I'm here. I'm Hannah's daughter."

"No." Jackson spat. "Don't trust phones." A moment later I could hear his door slam shut.

"What does he mean, he doesn't trust phones?" Jameson said, frustration in his voice. "What's not to trust?"

"We'll call you back," Avery told Grayson, and picked up her phone, handing mine back to me. "I'm allowed to spend three nights per month away from Hawthorne House. So far, I've only spent one."