Chapter 8 - Cornelia Street (Edited)

___________

"And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name

"And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name. And baby, I'm so terrified of if you ever walk away. I'd never walk Cornelia Street again"
___________

Jess's P.O.V

"You're going to need someone to run interference if you want to search Zara's wing." Grayson said to Avery.

I had been confused about what ring Jameson had been referring to after Grayson's talk with him, but after Avery explaining it to me I now knew it was the next step in her mystery. Earlier that day Avery had visited the Hawthorne vault. She said there was every jewel and crown a person could possibly imagine, but the ring was nowhere to be found. She had also learned that Zara was the one in possession of the ring, as it was the last thing her father had left her.

Avery had now come up with the plan to search Zara's wing for the envelope with the ring in it. Grayson had volunteered to help, and where my boyfriend and sister went, I went. So now I stood outside of her wing as Xander, Jameson, Avery, Max, Grayson and me figured out a plan.

"Gray excels at distraction," Jameson said, breaking me from my thoughts. "I attribute it to hisuncanny ability to be boring and longwinded on cue."

"We'll need to make sure Constantine stays clear, too." Grayson said, not even paying attention to Jameson's taunting.

"I, too, excel at the art of distraction," Max said, volunteering to help Grayson. "I attribute it to my ability to channel any or all of my favorite fictional spies on cue."

"I'll help too. I also excel at the art of distraction, simply bring up anything about a new Netflix show and they'll either run away or talk about it for a few minutes." I shrugged as everyone stared at me in a weird way, even Max. "Trust me it works." I said, crossing my arms.

"Grayson, Max, and Jess can set up a perimeter." Xander said. "Jameson, Avery, and I will do a sweep of the wing."

"This is a very bad idea." Eli, Avery's second body guard, mumbled from behind us. I almost agreed with the young bodyguard but I was also used to things being a bed idea, this plan was no exception.

...

Me, Max, and Grayson all took posts outside of Zara's wing. Max went to the left, me and Grayson went to the right. I felt my stomach turn into knots as we walked down the hall. It didn't feel good to let my sister search someone's wing behind their back but how else was she supposed to get the ring?

"This doesn't feel right." I whispered, gripping Grayson's hand tightly. He stopped then looked over his shoulder to me.

"What do you mean? Sneaking into Zara's wing is nothing compared to some of the things me and my brothers have done." I raised a brow at his statement. Grayson brushed my curiosity off. "I'll tell you later."