Chapter 9 - It's nice to have a friend (Edited)

__________

"Call my bluff, call you "babe", Have my back, yeah, everyday, Feels like home, stay in bed, The whole weekend

"Call my bluff, call you "babe", Have my back, yeah, everyday, Feels like home, stay in bed, The whole weekend."
___________

Grayson's P.O.V

"Five million dollars? " Avery repeated as she and Jameson left to go to my grandfather's study. I decided it would be wise if I didn't come, and besides Jess and I should be working on our own mystery.

Looking over at Jess I noticed she was biting her lip, a nervous habit she had started doing even more now. I assumed it had something to do with her mother, a mystery I didn't even understand as we have no idea how my grandfather knew Jess's mother. Another mystery to solve.

"Let's head to the library." I state. Jess looked over to me and stopped biting her lip to raise a curious brow.

"Decided you want to start reading?" Jess said to me. "I'll make you read all my favorite books, and we can talk and blush when cute things happen, and cry when someone dies!" She was leaning on me now, continuing her sarcastic rant.

"Sounds appealing," I remark. Jess smiled." but I was thinking we could go to talk about your mother." Her smiled vanished in an instant.

"Right, forgot about that." I was quite confident she hadn't forgot. She wasn't looking at me and had returned to biting her lip. I took her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"Whatever we find out, just know that I'm with you through everything." I took Jess's chin in my hand and made her look at me with those deep hazel eyes. She gave me a smile that didn't quite meet her eyes before turning and heading towards the library.

...

"So let's go over what we know." Jess said as she looked through the books on the shelves, brushing her hand across the leather bound spines.

"Your mother has been off the grid for 13 years, she dated Colin Wright at some point and my grandfather knew her somehow." I state the facts. Jess bit her lip again as she pulled out a signed first edition of Harry Potter.

"Here's the thing that doesn't make sense, she was connected to Colin but not Tobias Hawthorne, so why does he want me to find her? And I don't think it's to repair our broken relationship." Jess was still flipping through the book, the pages making a breeze that blew a few strands of hair from her face.

"Colin was close with Toby was he not?" I asked Jess who looked up from the book and nodded.

"He died on the island with Toby. " Jess looked back down and at the book and shut it closed, putting it back onto the shelf. "Thalia must have come in contact with Toby at some point if she was dating Colin."

"We need more information." I muttered, loud enough that Jess could still hear.

"Tell me about it, If I could find my mother we could get answers to all our questions." Jess said as she fell into the chair next to me.