Chapter 4 - I think he knows (Edited)

________________________________

"It's like I'm seventeen, nobody understands

"It's like I'm seventeen, nobody understands. No one understands."
- Taylor Swift
________________________________

Jess's P.O.V

I immediately put the name Colin's way into my phone. It came up with directions, I learned that the institute was only 5 hours away, by car. The second thing that appeared on the screen was a website link.

Pushing the screen I began to scroll through the website. Finding a link that read our story I quickly clicked on it. The paragraph read:

Colin's Way provides a safe after-school environment for kids between the ages five and twelve. Founded in memory of Colin Anders Wright (pictured at right), we are in the business of Playing, Giving, and Growing—so all children have a future.

Opening another tab I searched: Colin Anders Wright. A picture of a blonde haired boy came up and he reminded me of Grayson in a way. He had the same shaped eyes, with a crooked smile almost exactly the same as the one Grayson would sometimes give me, when the two of us were alone. A smile reserved only for me.

As I scrolled on I found a headline reading: Fire at Hawthorne House: 2 aspiring young men, dead. I clicked the link and began to read.

20 years ago there had been a fire. A fire at a island Tobias Hawthorne just so happened to own. The more I read the more I was horrified.

The headline had been wrong. 3 people had died that night. 2 boys in line to inherit fortunes, 1 girl from the wrong side of the tracks.

It only took 1 night for everything to go to hell.

Colin Anders Wright and Kaylie Rooney, both dead after a fire. Tobias Hawthorne's own son, Tobias Hawthorne II, dead.

"Toby died on Hawthorne island 20 years ago." I turned my head to Grayson. "Along with Colin Anders Wright." Giving myself no time to process I put my gaze back to the phone.

Scrolling through the Colin's way website I found a video. Clicking on it a man began to speak.

"This is a horrific tragedy, one from which our family will never recover. My nephew was an incredible young man. He was intelligent and driven, competitive but kind. There is no telling what good he would have done in this world had the actions of others not robbed him of that opportunity. I know that if Colin were here, he would tell me to let go of the anger. He would tell me to concentrate on what matters. And so, along with his mother, his siblings, and my wife, who could not be here today, I am proud to announce the formation of Colin's Way, a charity that will channel my nephew's competitive and giving spirit to bring the joy of athletics, teamwork, and family to underprivileged children in our communities."

The man's voice stuck with me. His voice having an authority to it I wouldn't want to question. His blonde hair perfect, his facial structure hard with sharp cheekbones and defined features. Though his eyes were the thing that stuck out. They were deadly, beautiful in their own right. They were...