XVII

"You had me at merlot?" Artemis craned her head back and stared quizzically up at the wooden sign of the wine shop

"You had me at merlot?" Artemis craned her head back and stared quizzically up at the wooden sign of the wine shop. It swung gently in an ocean breeze, its metal hinges all but screaming as it swayed back and forth sending a chill of unease through Apollo.

"No one's here, and even if they were, they're long gone by now," he said, hoping Artemis hadn't lost her touch as his eyes glanced up and down the empty boardwalk.

"Patience, brother, this is just where the trail leads."

As if awaiting their arrival, the sound of beating wings fluttered through the air and a gray screech owl—much smaller than the sound its wings had led him to believe—swooped down onto the already outstretched forearm of Artemis.

She gazed silently into the owl's large round eyes, a precarious smile dancing across her lips. She touched her head to the owls and gave thanks before it took off into the night.

"You've involved Athena? What does she have invested in all of this?"

"Just because we are twins, dearest brother, does not mean we are the only sibling the other has. Athena sends her blessing because she is still our sister, even if you choose to be distant. Not to mention, she has little love for Aphrodite, and word of her endeavors has spread all over Olympus."

"All the more reason to be on our way." He said, knowing Athena's owl hadn't solely shown up to bring a blessing, it had given Artemis a direction to travel.

Apollo stuck close to her as she rushed down the boardwalk and when they approached a pier, he spotted a small boat tied off at the end. Artemis confirmed it was their destination as she began undoing the line to the rowboat which was decorated ornately with the bust of a stag carved into the bow.

She motioned him into the boat as she tossed the line down. They each took a set of oars, alternating strokes as they pushed out into the darkness of the open water.

It didn't take long before Apollo spotted a yacht in the distance, illuminated by multicolored spotlights shooting up from the deck as if a beacon to the heavens. A party in the middle of the Atlantic? Aphrodite couldn't help herself, could she?

"We're close," Artemis huffed, pulling her oars into the boat. She stared at her hands, her breathing slowing before she raised her eyes to meet Apollo's. "This is our last opportunity to stop this, tell me you are certain she is your other half and I will say no more."

"We've lived long lives and few feelings come to mind that have ever been so clear and profound. I'm sure you can relate, was the feeling not the same for you the first time you stood in a forest? The earth beneath your feet and rainfall drumming on the tree canopies?

"Do you know the cure for eternal sleep?" Artemis asked, her eyes glowing in their soft green light.

"I do." He smiled, "The fairytales always get it wrong though, true love is only the first part. What wakes them at the moment when lips meet is a twin soul and two halves become whole again."