XIV

This chapter contains the use of explicit language

Ember felt like she'd melt into a puddle before she reached the other end of the boardwalk

Ember felt like she'd melt into a puddle before she reached the other end of the boardwalk. Even with sunglasses, a hat, and the ocean breeze, she could feel the sun threatening to burn her skin and she wondered why her mother had picked the sweltering state of Florida to live in.

"Em?"

She froze at the sound of his voice and contemplated running as fast as she could in the direction of the wine shop, but against her better judgment, she turned and locked eyes with Tyler Finn.

"What do you want, Tyler? I already RSVP'd 'NO' on the last mail call you made for your girlfriend, I don't see why you need to be here."

"Ex-girlfriend," Tyler frowned, "And I'm sorry about that, I had no idea what she wrote."

"Oh, how adorable he thinks he can get pity by pleading innocence. Well, guess what? Even if you didn't know what it said you knew it said something, so by delivering it you were complicit in the outcome of whatever that message was. Being a coward isn't the same as being stupid, Tyler." Ember almost winced at the last utterance of his name, Amara must have been rubbing off on her and she didn't think that was an entirely bad thing.

"I deserved that."

"So we agree then? So glad we had this little catch-up, now if you don't mind it's a million degrees outside and some of us need to go to work."

"Actually, I don't know if you remember but, it would have been our three-year anniversary this week."

Ember's jaw dropped, he couldn't be serious right now, could he?! Miranda had finally dropped him and here he was talking about a three-year anniversary as if Ember had been his backup plan the whole time. Well, she was no one's second choice! She turned on her heels.

"No, wait!" Tyler stalled. "I'm trying to tell you I miss you... and tell you how hot you looked the other night at Wicked Brew... and ask if maybe... you know..."

"We can only have a three-year anniversary if you actually stay in that relationship for three years, consecutively! And as I don't plan on being here for three more minutes, I'd say it's a very unlikely scenario for us!"