XX

The tension in Ember's body finally eased as Aphrodite and the twins rounded the street corner and vanished

The tension in Ember's body finally eased as Aphrodite and the twins rounded the street corner and vanished. Aphrodite had deceived her, played with her life for weeks, and was self-admittedly tied to her father's death. Even if she had been honest and wasn't at fault, she couldn't shake the feeling that part of her life was a lie, and that hurt all on its own. Yet, as she watched Aphrodite go, all the elegance in the world, sauntering down Shycan Street as if it were a runway in Milan, wearing stilettos no less, she had the uncomfortable feeling of loss stir up inside of her. For all she had put Ember through, she couldn't help but also be thankful for where Aphrodite's influence had brought her.

True, she was unemployed and had discovered truths about her parents she'd never have thought possible, but there was hope now. She still wasn't sure what a twin soul really meant but for all intents and purposes, Apollo was all hers. What girl didn't need a little sunshine in their life, even if it was in quite a literal sense?

Apollo's hand brushed her cheek and she found his gray eyes tracing the lines of her mouth. "How are you feeling? None of this is what you expected, I'm sure."

Once again, Ember found herself staring up at him, his body close enough that she could feel the warmth radiating from him. She wouldn't miss another opportunity, her arms slid up his chest and gently moved to the back of his neck. Her lips reached for his as he lifted her the rest of the way. Her arms no longer supported her, so she found her hand had better use trailing through his hair, the other behind his neck. Their lips melted together as the two searched for a balance between passion and hunger. She'd never experienced such desire before, was this what being a twin soul meant? Her breath shortened, heart hammering, as they found each other's lips and tongues over and over, each collision renewing the love-drunk lust.

A clatter of pottery breaking suddenly came from somewhere nearby. "Who even cares that he's a Cupid? He was so sweet, and he never got mad when I ran off, not once!" Bel's voice could be heard in between sobs. Ember was pulled back to reality, remembering they weren't alone. She pushed back and began to turn toward her crying friend. Apollo, caught her chin and she was helpless in his arms, leaning in for one more long and deep kiss.

Apollo steadied her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and holding her to his side as they turned toward the front steps. Bel looked up at them from the sidewalk, her eyes, two puffy red circles, and misery etched across her face.

"Don't worry, Bel. I'm sure we'll figure out something." Ember said reassuringly.

"How?" Bel whimpered, and Ember thought for a moment that her best friend would sink to her knees and scream into the void like some sort of Shakespearean thespian. "I'll be dead by the time he can even come back, and if I'm not that'll just be worse. I can't ride him like an equestrian if I'm over a hundred, and already on my third hip, and life support."

"Actually," Apollo stepped forward, a self-gratifying smile on his face, "I was thinking about it, and though I haven't had much time to iron out the finer details, I believe there is a way for you to visit."

"Don't you lie to me, Sun Man! Like, visit the Mount Olympus?!" Bel nearly fell up the front steps, her finger waving through the air like a weapon aimed at Apollo.

"Are you serious?" Ember asked him as she caught Bel beneath the elbow and helped her onto the porch. "Could we really visit you?" This changed everything, did she just find out she would be vacationing in Greece? And how often? Was he talking afternoon finger snaps to Olympus, or would she need to fly each time? She hated airplanes.

"I'd have to pull some strings," Apollo grinned, "But Zeus tends to be pretty literal with his punishments. As long as I'm not on Earth, I don't see why it'd be a problem having you or even Bel there. There are perks to being a God, even if you do have to answer occasionally to someone like my father."

Bel wrapped her arms around him, and then her eyes fluttered wide. "Oh crap, that means I have to do research, so are like greek myths accurate? Should I be able to trust his Wikipedia? Never mind, I'll just read everything and..." She trailed off, patting her back pockets, searching for her car keys, and then ran down the stairs headed for the driveway muttering to herself. "Wait, what about Eric? Do I still call him Eric? Or is it Eros now? Never mind I'll just text him." She turned back suddenly and yelled, "Thanks for a memorable night and saving our lives and all that stuff, Sun Man! I'll see you tomorrow, Em, Love you!" and then her little, half in the grave, honda rumbled out of the culdesac.

Ember smiled up at Apollo, "She's a weirdo sometimes."

"All the better for Eros, do you think anyone other than someone so unique could hold a cupid's attention?"

They sat together on the top step, Ember's head resting on his shoulder. "What did Aphrodite mean by, Miranda won't be bothering me anymore?"

"She cursed her."

"What?! Is that why she broke up with Tyler?"

"I can only assume," Apollo said, stifling a laugh, "Miss Milton has been cursed with the Vision of True Worth, so she will only see others based on what's in their hearts. I'm sure Tyler looked rather unappealing in her new eyes."

"Forever?" Ember asked, feeling mildly sorry for the head cheerleader, what would happen if she looked at herself in the mirror?

"Until she learns what real beauty is." Apollo shrugged, "but I wouldn't be too concerned, she's better off this way." He took her hands, "Thank you Ember, I didn't realize the world still held surprises like you after all these years."

Ember could feel the heat in her cheeks again, the same feeling she'd had when they first met at the winery. If someone had told her then he was actually a walking god, she may have believed them, but not one that wanted her just as she wanted him. On top of it all, they were fated, soulmates even, another thing like Gods that until today she had considered to be pleasant sentiments that people used to comfort themselves. She couldn't believe that she'd been so heartbroken when he refused to kiss her because she'd truly believed that he was seeing someone else or was just toying with her, nothing so nefarious, but also, Apollo, God of the Sun was a different pill to swallow.

As if reading her mind he laughed and said "You drew me in from the moment we met, but that already proved a complication given Aphrodite's charade. I couldn't contaminate what should have been our sweetest moment with false pretenses."

Ember leaned forward, her lips grazing Apollo's jawline, just one more kiss, he could leave at any moment, and who knew how long it'd be before she could visit. He pulled back, eyes trained on her, hands cupping her face until finally, his lips were on hers again and every wound and heartache from that summer seemed to melt away.

Ember had no idea what the future held, and for once she was at peace with that. She had what she wanted, and a year didn't seem significant in comparison.