V

For nearly forty-eight hours Ember had laid in her bed, hidden beneath two large blankets

For nearly forty-eight hours Ember had laid in her bed, hidden beneath two large blankets. They were hot and uncomfortable but they had been her Christmas gifts from Tyler - one for each year they'd dated.

Her mother had checked on her frequently when she was home from work, bringing her food and water, but there were no words she wanted to hear, and her mother knew better than to try.

A sappy romance movie droned in the background, playing on the flat-screen TV that Tyler had mounted for her last summer. When she heard an actor declare his undying love for his girlfriend she grabbed a pillow and chucked it at the TV.

"He'll break your heart!" She shouted, rolling onto her side and pulling the covers over her head.

She wondered how long this would last, how long it would feel like there was a hole in her chest, and how much longer would her mind torment her by replaying the image of Miranda and Tyler all over each other.

Bel suddenly sat up from a pile of her own blankets at the end of the bed, "Hungry?" she yawned, eyes still closed yet somehow unmistakably pointing right at Ember.

Ember jumped, she'd forgotten Bel was still with her, and she almost laughed staring across at her best friend who had a white streak of dried drool on her cheek and a serious case of bedhead.

"I guess." Ember groaned, plopping back down in a huff.

"Pizza?" Bel already had her phone in hand and was typing away, probably ordering from her favorite Pizzeria, Vinny's.

When the doorbell buzzed thirty minutes later Bel rolled off the bed and ran downstairs. Ember heard her say something she couldn't quite make out, but could tell that Bel was surprised.

"Hey, Ember," Bel shouted, "Uh... someone's here to see you."

Ember's blood ran cold. What if it was Tyler? Who else would be a surprise to Bel? Certainly, the delivery guy didn't want to have a chat.

She scrambled out of bed and dove into her bathroom, pacing for a moment while trying desperately to slow her breathing. What if he had changed his mind? The plan to reject him if he asked her to take him back suddenly seemed like a terrible idea. Especially because all she could think about was how he felt cuddled up next to her on lazy days. How his arms felt wrapped around her, and how his lips felt on her neck, her face... her mouth. Ugh!

She grabbed the edge of the sink and let out a slow steady breath. She would take him back.

Now that it was decided she smiled, her heart fluttering in her chest instead of beating in panic. She looked up into the mirror to assess the damage from the last two days and grimaced. Holy hell. She looked like a homeless person.

"You can do this," she mouthed at her reflection before setting to work. "Be out in a minute!" Her voice was too high-pitched and she groaned. Don't act desperate. Chill.

It took her five minutes flat to wash her face, brush her teeth and pull a comb through her hair. All that was left was a little eye shadow, some mascara, and... Voila! Ember stepped back giving herself a once-over in the mirror. Shit! She was still wearing the same outfit she'd had on at the boardwalk. She looked around the bathroom and spotted a black sundress with yellow sunflowers hanging on the back of the door. Perfect.

It was time to get her man. She straightened her back and opened the door, heading down the stairs with a smile that immediately vanished.

"Hello Miss Michaels," Amara was standing by the front door, a sparkling smile painted across her face.

Ember blinked. What in the world was she doing in her house? She didn't even look like she belonged in such a place.

For heaven's sake, the woman was wearing a sleek white jumper that hugged her body in all the right places. And her heels, god those heels, they were strappy, golden, and at least six inches, Ember thought she must have had the ankles of a goddess to walk up her crooked front steps. Then there was that hair loose around her shoulders and to top it all off a pair of gold and white sunglasses that matched her outfit.

"Expecting someone else?" Amara asked and Ember realized the expression on her face must have been one of disappointment.

"No... well sort of, but I'm sorry can I get you a beverage? Can't say I was expecting you, not that I'm mad about it but well, what's up?" She frantically eyed Bel, who knew that she rambled when put on the spot and why the hell had she just brought this woman inside? Strike two, Bel, strike two.

"Rather sorry to drop in on you like this, but you never called, and I wanted to return this." Amara opened an expensive-looking purse and pulled out a blue wallet that Ember immediately recognized as her own. Except, she hadn't remembered taking it out in the wine shop, how had she lost it? She shook her head. Obviously, she had been too distracted thinking about Tyler.

"Thank you," Ember said, taking the wallet. She was grateful, after all the last thing she needed was to lose her ID and what little cash she had.

"Have you given my offer any thought?"

"What offer?" Bel chirped.

"I'll take that as a no," Amara removed her sunglasses and set two perfect sapphire eyes on Ember. "I really need the help, and a pretty face greeting the customers would be more than I could ask for. Tomorrow at noon?"

"A job on the boardwalk? Selling wine?" Bel was practically jumping in place. "Um... Yes! Say yes!"

"I'd like to add that I pay bonuses in wine."

Ember wanted to strangle Bel for agreeing with Amara. But, it wasn't a terrible idea. After all, what else was she going to do before the next semester started? Lay around a wallow? That did sound appealing, but she knew it wasn't the right choice.

"Yeah, okay, I'll work for you."

"Wonderful!" Amara clapped her hands. "Tomorrow then."