III

Ember could not believe the fool she had made of herself

Ember could not believe the fool she had made of herself. She watched as Tyler and Miranda disappeared out of sight, kicking herself for thinking that confronting them would go her way.

What an idiot. How could she have believed Tyler would see her and decide he'd made a mistake? The hope that he might beg her forgiveness and throw himself at her mercy had all been dashed away the minute Miranda opened her mouth. Denim shorts from 2010? Ember couldn't believe that southern belle bitch had the audacity to laugh at her clothes, especially since she'd just bought them last week.

The blonde woman cleared her throat, freeing Ember from her self-loathing. "This heat is dreadful," she said, placing the back of her hand on her forehead and feigning exhaustion. "And after that ordeal, I think you deserve a drink in my nice air-conditioned shop."

"Thank you," Ember said earnestly, she didn't have a plan of escape and the woman had saved her from further embarrassment. "But, I can't, my friend is around here somewhere and I'm only nineteen."

"Pish posh," The woman waved her hand dismissively, "I was nineteen once, not very long ago, and where I come from a glass of wine is a must for all ages."

Ember's phone suddenly buzzed in her back pocket, she fished it out and read a text from Bel: B there in 10 mins. had 2 find a bathroom.

Ember groaned, slipping the phone back into her pocket. If she was going to have to wait for Bel, she might as well do it in a cool place, especially since her shirt was starting to cling to her back and that was just gross.

"Red or white?" The woman asked from behind the front counter of the shop.

Ember looked around as she stepped in, surprised by how much bigger it looked on the inside. She thought the shop looked like the interior of a Christmas ornament. Everything was red, the walls, the floor, the ceiling, even the apron that the woman pulled over her head and tied at her back. There were red chaises with white fur blankets and tall glass tables with stacked wine glasses that had shimmering water pouring over them like a fountain.

Ember wasn't sure if she loved or hated it, but it was certainly different. "Red please?" she was hesitant in her reply, she didn't know much about wine, but she knew her mother loved red and it was clearly on theme.

"Good choice," the woman sang, handing Ember a glass, "Now, remember to let it breathe, this one in particular I find to be quite divine." With a wink and smile, she clanked her own glass of red wine into Ember's and took a sip. "I'm Amara by the way."

"Ember."

"What a beautiful name," Amara grinned, "It goes with that gorgeous deep red hair of yours." She gestured around the shop, "And obviously, it's a favorite color of mine."

"Thanks," Ember said, taking a sip from her glass and feeling an instant wave of calm, is this why her mother drank red wine? Because she could understand that. "My ex always said it was a weird name."

"Oh, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about what someone like him thinks." Amara finished off her glass and poured herself another, "boys like that grow up to be rather boring, balding, and fat. Take it from me."

Ember secretly hoped she was right even though it felt wrong to think it. She wondered if all men were like Tyler and if there was anyone in the world who would be her true love. But that didn't matter now, because she was never going to date again. Not after Tyler Finn.

She sighed. "I've given up on love, maybe I'll try again in my 30's."

Ember jumped at the sound of glass shattering and looked over to see that Amara had dropped her glass onto the counter.

"Silly me," she huffed. "Ember, dear, I've just had a wonderful idea." She produced a red towel from the inside of her apron pocket and began cleaning the counter. "Why don't you work for me? I can teach you how to choose a suitor worthy of your beauty. It's clear to me that you're not the problem, the men are."

Ember stared at Amara for a moment, confused. Why did she care if she ever dated again? But, it was a nice offer, she could definitely use the money, and she did love the boardwalk, especially at night. Except, all she wanted to do was sulk. She pictured herself working behind the counter of the wine shop, happy, and then his face swam back into her mind, bursting the bubble of a hopeful future.

"Thank you, but..."

Before Ember could finish her sentence, Amara was in front of her, holding a red business card out between two long fingers. "Don't say no just yet, sleep on it, and give me a call tomorrow."

Ember accepted the business card just as the front door popped open and Bel flew into the shop, holding two ice cream cones, the ice cream streaming down her forearms. She gave a bashful smile and offered one to Ember. "I got your favorite."

Ember was peeved that Bel hadn't come to her rescue, but she couldn't stay mad at her. She took the peace offering and left the shop with a polite goodbye to Amara.

All she needed now was her bed and a good cry.