Chapter Twelve

Ayame hummed to herself, her thoughts elsewhere as she sat inside the kitchen. She swung her legs back and forth from where she was sitting, while looking down at the food in front of her.

Kurenai had made some rice balls, specially for her, yet she was too caught up in her thoughts to even pay any attention to them. She was stuck thinking about what had happened the other day, the way people had reacted towards her. Ayame wasn't used to getting compliments and it had made her extremely happy.

Finally, Ayame slowly ate the three rice balls, her mouth watering from the tastiness. She loved Kurenai's rice balls and had convinced herself that no one else could make them like her.

She finished them in record time and stood up, cleaning off her plate. She had nothing to do that day, Kurenai had canceled their training for that day because she had gotten a mission.

Ayame left the house and locked the door behind her, hiding the key in it's usual spot. She then realized that she had literally no idea where to go and frowned before letting her feet take her in a random direction.

She came to a stop in front of the park, her eyes watching as Children interacted with each other and the parents watched. Ayame smiled sadly at the sight before walking over to an empty swing, sitting down.

She ignored the person who came over, sitting down in the swing next to her. She was thinking about her friends, if she could even call them that yet, until the person started speaking to her.

"They call you Ayame, right?"

Ayame's head snapped up, her eyes landing on the speaker. It was a girl, one that was at least a year younger then Ayame. Her brown hair was tied into two braids. She had the same green eyes as Ayame but she looked more healthier and more lively.

"They do."

The girl just grinned, nodding. "Fits you much better then Kaede."

Ayame tensed, just then realizing this was the other girl who had been on the team with Kai and Aoi. She couldn't place the girl in any of her memories however and frowned, wanting to remember who she was.

"Miyu Himiwura!" Miyu held her hand out for Ayame to shake, which the girl did hesitantly. She didn't understand why she was so different then her siblings, who had wanted to kill Ayame instantly.

"I don't really remember much about you, since I was five at the time, but I do know you were an awesome big sister!" Miyu just continued smiling, tilting her head slightly this time. "Sorry about Kai and Aoi, by the way. They were just surprised is all. We all thought you were gone!"

Miyu just kept rambling on and Ayame couldn't help but laugh at her. The girl stopped talking, tilting her head in confusion. "Did I say something funny?"

Ayame shook her head, trying to stop the giggles coming from her mouth. "Ne, how old are you now, Miyu?"

The brunette tapped a finger to her chin, as if she really had to think about her age. "Ten! Which means you're thirteen, right Ayame?"