Chapter 9

We creep forward past the wall of flesh maskes and crawl under the shelves. I see the Doctor and inwardly gag at his grotesque appearance. His breathing sets me on edge. He crawls away and me and Mono crawl forward, climb up onto the shelf in front of us, and drop silently down behind a box. The Doctor pulls something off of a mannequin and goes over to a filing cabinet. We creep behind another box and wait for him to go over to the other cabinet before crawling through the vent in the wall.

     On the other side we're under a couple beds. The room shakes as the Doctor crawls over and shoves the door open. He checks on a... patient... and then crawls away towards some other beds. Me and Mono creep forward and hide under some more beds. I see the door we have to open and the button beside it that will alert the Doctor. Mono taps me on the shoulder and points to some toys. He then points to himself. I nod in understanding.

     He points to me and points to the spot where I am. He wants me to stay right here. I nod again and he gives me a thumbs up. I watch him crawl away, worried for his safety. He only moves when the Doctor is busy. When Mono reaches the toys he grabs a block and goes back under the bed. Suddenly the Doctor goes to check on the patient in the bed Mono is under.

     I start chewing on my nail as the Doctor lingers over the patient for what seems like eternity. Eventually he moves and Mono crawls away. It's a long trip to the cart in front of the button but Mono makes it. I watch the Doctor and wait till he goes to a patient that's pretty far away before giving a thumbs up to Mono. He crawls out and hits the button with the block. The alarm sounds, I cover my ears, and Mono is back under the cart before the Doctor sees him.

     The Doctor checks the door before crawling away to another room. Me and Mono go to the room the Docter was just and I smile at him. "That was brave." He nods. We climb up the drawers leading to a vent that leads above the ceiling. Mono helps me into the area as I climb up. We sit down for a second. "This is a lot of work." I mutter. He nods. We continue forward and suddenly the Doctor's hands grab onto a hold in the ceiling in front of us. The Doctor crawls away and I breath in relief.

     We emerge from a vent hole onto a celling that's falling apart. We walk over to a hole that leads to a tray that has folded up sheets under it. We jump down onto the tray and then onto the sheets. Or what I thought was sheets. We landed on a wrapped up body. "EW!" I say as we walk away from it. I see a lock and no key in sight. Suddenly I remember this puzzle.

     "Okay Mono, I think you have to go through one of the things to get to the next room and the key." I explain to him. He looks around and nods. I pull out the rolling shelf that holds the box full of organs and nod to Mono. He climbs into it and I push him through. I hear him moving around some stuff in there and wait. Eventually I hear him call to me from the other side. I pull the box back through and Mono jumps out of it. "That thing stinks." I laugh quietly and we head over to the door.

     Mono pulls out the key and unlocks the door. We push it open into the empty room full of shelves. We climb up the drawers of one shelf, jump over to another, and jump over to the shelf connected to the vent. We crawl through the vent and up a ladder into the next area. The final area with the Doctor. I hear the Doctor doing something in the next room and look over at Mono.

     He nods at me. I grab his hand and sneak through the vent into the next room. We are hiding under a sink. The Doctor crawls over and washes his hands in the sink on the table in front of us. He crawls away and we sneak under the table. Halfway to the other side the Doctor crawls over and grabs a saw out of the sink we were hiding under.

     As the Doctor hacks at his patient we go over to the wall with the vent in it. I boost Mono through and wait for him. I hear a loud long beep and the Doctor yells. He races into the next room and Mono runs out. He dashes for the battery high up in one of the shelves and he pulls out a drawer holding a body.

     He uses that to jump up to the area with the battery and jumps down. We go into the next room and Mono plugs in the battery. I cover my ears and run forward as I hear the Doctor freak out in the other room. I don't have time to really take in what I'm doing but after running for a bit I crawl under some beds and run towards the incinerator. Mono runs out with the Doctor right behind him. Mono jumps into the incinerator and the Doctor follows him. I help Mono break through the vent at the bottom and I slam the door shut. Mono runs over and pulls the lever lighting the incinerator.

     The fire burns the Doctor and I sit downnin front of it. "Wish I had marshmallows." I mutter. Mono laughs. "You would cook smores over a fire that just killed someone?" I nod my head. He laughs. I pat the floor beside me and Mono sits down. "That was very stupid what you did." I say. He shrugs. "We had to get away somehow." I nod and lay back on the floor. "This is nice. Just talking to someone who doesn't judge me." I murmur.

     Mono lays next to me and sighs. "Yeah... it would be nice if we weren't almost being murdered every five seconds." I laugh. "Yeah." We lay there for a while enjoying the warm from the fire. Eventually Mono stands up and he helps me. "Let's check your bandages while we have time." I lift my hoodie and see that the bandages are stained horribly red.

     Mono unwraps the gauze and I hand him the roll. He rebandages me and smiles. "All done. Ready to leave?" I nod. We head over to the lever and Mono boosts me up to it. The elevator comes down and we head into it. Officially done with the Hospital.