21

September arrived and Mary was glad that Lola had decided to stay with her during her confinement. They both had a short time left in their pregnancies and so they happily spent them together. Francis would sneak in a few times to visit, but since she wasn't alone this time he spent most of his free time with his daughter. He would take her on a horseback ride and for walks in the garden. Kenna brought Alexander and Merida to visit a few times a week and they would crawl after each other babbling at one another with a few words here and there.

Elizabeth seemed to agree to the terms of abdicating once her child was born better than Mary and Francis taking over now. Francis figured she would because she felt like she could control the child, but if Mary's children were anything like her, they would stand up to Elizabeth. She or he would be the ruler not Elizabeth. Francis finished his duties and went to see how Mary was doing. He used the secret passage and found Mary and Lola sitting quietly and working on a blanket for their babies. Mary looked up and smiled setting her knitting aside. "Don't get up for me love." he said when she tried stand. She gave him a thankful smile and leaned back into the chair. She rubbed the side of her stomach grimacing a little. "Is everything okay?" he asked as he sat beside her. Lola quietly moved to where her bed was located to give them some privacy. "Yes, this one just loves to move and kick." she replied. She took his hand and placed it on her stomach. He smiled when he felt the baby kick and kissed her hand. "I can't wait to meet the little one." Mary kept her hand in his as he discussed the latest events in court and the things he and Merida did together.

Kenna left Alexander and Merida with the nanny and went to her chambers that afternoon. She hadn't been feeling good and had started cramping after the small lunch she'd shared with Bash. She sent one of her maids for the midwife as the hours passed and she started to realize what was happening. She had thought she was pregnant two weeks before, but the only symptom she'd had was missing her monthly time. She hadn't been sick or feeling faint like she had with Alexander. Now she found out she was right, and she was losing it. The midwife came and she told her ladies to bar the chamber doors and stay inside. She didn't want Bash to see her like this. The pain was ten times worse than with Alexander and she began to cry along with moans of pain. Once the event was over her ladies helped the midwife clean her up and dispose of the bedding. She asked them to send for Bash as she lay on the bed and cried some more.

Greer came for a visit that day and she stopped by Mary and Lola's room first. She entertained them with stories from her estate and how she was so busy with everyday things that she was sorry she couldn't visit more often. "So how are things with you and Leith?" Mary asked. Greer grew a little quiet and sighed. "We're okay, but it's been over a year and no baby." she said. Mary frowned and squeezed her friend's hand. Then she carefully and with some difficulty she stood and walked to where she kept her herbs and such. She pulled out a little bottle and after reading the label she waddled back over and handed it to Greer. "Try this. I don't have need of it as you can see, but I've heard good things from the servants and ladies that use it." Greer took the bottle and slipped it into her small reticule. "Well the company was much appreciated and I will have to stop by again. I must visit with Kenna before I leave so I will let you and Lola get some rest." Greer bid them farewell and made her way to Kenna's chambers.

Bash entered the room and his heart clenched within him at the sight of his wife. She lay there looking tired and dejected. He could tell she'd been crying as he got closer to the bed. "I'm so sorry love." he said taking her in his arms. "I wasn't even sure at first and then when I was it was too late. I lost our baby." she started sobbing into his shoulder so he rubbed her back and consoled her as best he could. "There will be more you know that. But not until you're well. Don't blame yourself Kenna. These things happen." he grew quiet then as she cried all she could until she grew exhausted and fell asleep. He sent a message to inform Leith he would be unavailable for the rest of the day.

Greer grew near to Kenna and Bash's chambers when she heard sobbing and then Bash's voice. Her heart ached for her friend, but she would let her husband console her and she would visit another time. She saw the page boy with a message for Leith and told him she would deliver it herself. She was going to convince him to stay at the castle for the night. Then she could visit with Kenna in the morning. It was so hard to imagine how happiness and mourning could exist in the same place at the same time. Two women anxiously awaiting the birth of their child while another mourned over one she would never hold.