14

Mary ran from her chambers to where the knights had brought Francis when they returned from their touring of the surrounding lands. It had been a month since she'd given Francis the news, but they'd agreed to keep it quiet until the danger of miscarriage was passed. She entered the room and hurried to his bedside. Nostradamus was standing there as well as Bash and Louis. Francis was unconscious with a nasty gash in his head. "What happened?" she asked holding his hand tightly. "We were on our way home when the knight's horse in front of his was stuck by an arrow. The other horses panicked and while a few of us chased the would-be assassin Francis' horse tripped and broke his leg in the chase. Francis was thrown and hit his head." Bash explained.

All the previous fears of the prophecy still coming true flooded her mind and she buried her face into his chest. "It looks worse than it is m'lady. His breathing is steady, and he has responded to touch." Nostradamus said. Mary tried her best to compose herself and giving Francis' forehead a kiss, she stood. "Take his majesty to his own chambers. We will monitor his condition and post-pone any court matters until further notice." Nostradamus nodded and asked Louis and the others to help move Francis while he got the supplies together to take to the chambers. Bash stepped forward and took Mary's hand. "He will get better Mary." she bit her lip as tears welled in her eyes. "Oh Bash." he pulled her close as she let her sobs out. "What if it's coming true? What if we were just given a small reprieve?" Bash took her arms and pushed her back, so he could look her in the eyes. "Don't start thinking like that. He will pull through. He has so much to live for." Mary took a deep breath and nodded to her brother-in-law. Mary wiped her tears and turned to exit the infirmary. "Mary. If he doesn't improve quickly I will be by your side to deal with the court and Catherine." Mary looked back and smiled. "Thank you."

Louis retired to his chambers to write another letter to his uncle. If Francis were to perish it would give him an opening to Mary. Though their daughter was an heir she wouldn't be able to rule for years and since there were no signs of another heir things could work. He told his uncle what he was sure he wanted to hear and then pouring a glass of something strong he began to plan.

Bash and Leith sent men to investigate the ambush spot while they worked on interrogating the men they'd captured. The found out that they were just some disgruntled men who were unhappy with Francis' way of ruling. Bash sighed as they left the dungeon. "Of all the things to cause harm to Francis." Leith shook his head. "Let's just be thankful that's all it was. We must keep watch though. Something like this could spark someone bolder to make a move."

Mary exited the court after explaining the day's events to the nobles. She instructed them to support their royals by going about their usual business and not putting their king in the grave. She stopped by the nursery to check on Adi. The four-month-old still depended on her mother's milk and Mary needed to draw comfort in their daughter.

That night Mary kept Adi in their chambers and laid her beside her father after she'd had her supper. Mary tried to eat for both her babies, but only managed a few pieces of fruit and cheese. She nibbled on the meat and sipped the refreshing water before calling the maids to clear the food. Kenna and Greer had offered their condolences earlier that day and Mary was grateful for her friends. She slipped into her nightclothes and giving Francis a kiss on his head she moved Adi to the bassinet beside the bed and then she crawled into the bed and slipping her hand into Francis' she closed her eyes praying that exhaustion would overtake her anxious mind.