15

Three days had passed, and Francis was in and out of consciousness. Mary was glad there were no pressing matters to address to the court. She, along with the help of Bash and even Catherine dealt with the everyday matters. So far no one was voicing their worries about the king openly. Mary however voiced hers to her close friends if only to keep sane. They were faithful to reassure her, and it kept hope alive so for it she was thankful. She was so ready for Francis to get better though since it seemed that their cousin was being overly sympathetic. In just two days he raised warning flags in her head and she was starting to not want to be alone with him. Whatever was motivating him it was making him bolder and after three days she wasn't sure what would happen. "Please come back to me." she whispered under her breath. She would speak to Bash in the morning about her concerns. She had no plans to start any kind of fight.

Conde passed through the corridors till he came to Mary's chambers. He paused when he noticed the flicker of candlelight dance upon the open doors. He glanced around and seeing no one he crossed the hall and stepped into her rooms. It seemed in his delusions he was blind to the fact that Mary was suspicious of him and so he foolishly acted upon his feelings. Seeing Mary seated at the desk he turned and closed the doors. She glanced up and gave him a kind smile. It didn't reach her eyes, but he didn't seem to notice. "Did you need something cousin?" she asked. Conde cleared his throat and slowly walked towards her. "I saw your door open and though you needed some company. You seem distraught and I thought you might want to talk." Mary slipped her hand over the handle of a small dagger she kept secured under her desk, her smile never wavering. "Well then by all means sit and we can talk." She skillfully concealed the dagger on her person and then stood. "Shall I call for some refreshments?" She made her way to the doors, but he stepped in front of her. "I lied. I'm not really here to talk." he moved to take her by the arm, but she stepped away. "Then you should leave...cousin." Mary replied her tone changing from inviting to commanding.

Mary decided her warning flags had turned to ringing bells and she tightened her grip on the hidden dagger. He stepped towards her again an almost desperate look in his eyes. "Please don't fight this Mary. I've felt drawn to you when I first saw you and it's just built up since then. I know you must feel it even if it's just a small thing." Mary was taken aback as she tried to think how he got these ideas. Was he a pawn in someone's scheme to separate her and Francis? Or was this some desperate attempt to contrive something by a man whose mind was diseased? "Conde get a hold of yourself! You are talking like some crazed man." He shook his head. "Maybe I can make you feel what I do." He'd no sooner finished his sentence when he grabbed her and pressed his lips to hers. Mary struggled to get free from his tightening grip. She managed to push him off of her and she stepped back raising the dagger to eye level, so he could see it. "Guards!" she cried. Surprise appeared in his eyes and he seemed stunned at her rejection. Surely, he had become mad somehow or he was always, and he hid it until now. Mary held the dagger in one hand and the other shielded her stomach.

Bash had gone to fetch Mary from her quarters when she'd not showed up to retrieve Merida (remember Adi's first name is Merida) from the nursery. He'd been visiting his niece when the nanny mentioned Mary was usually there like clockwork. He figured she was in her chambers worrying over what to do for Francis that she'd let time get away from her. He took the shortcut through the secret tunnels and was coming to the exit in her chambers when he heard Mary's wary voice. He slowed his pace and crept up to the door opening it just enough to see. The door was slightly hidden by the bedpost, but he could still see Conde walking towards Mary's desk. He realized his suspicions about the Prince was true, but he wouldn't act to early. So, he waited until Conde made his move and when Mary called for the guards he made his way out of the tunnel and drew his sword stopping a few feet from the crazed man. "Bash! How?" He threw her a quick smile. "Your daughter was hungry, so I came looking for her mother. Took a shortcut and glad I did." Mary lowered her dagger as the guards came in and under Bash's instruction took Conde to the dungeon. "Mary please." She kept her queenly demeanor and shook her head. "I've sent for your uncle. He should be arriving soon. Let's just say your courier isn't as loyal to you as you think. We've had our doubts and you've just confirmed them...cousin." The guards led him away and when the doors shut Mary dropped the dagger and Bash sheathed his sword. "Oh Bash." was all she could say before tears welled up in her eyes. He hugged her tightly. "You did good, but was it really so bad to cause tears?" She chuckled through her tears. "It comes with the condition." Bash drew back puzzled until he saw her hands cradling her stomach. Then he really prayed for Francis' quick recovery.

Francis felt as though darkness was trying to drown out the light. He wasn't sure of time and how long he'd fought to make it to the light, but after what seemed like eternity he made it to the light and opened his eyes. He saw he was in his own bed and after taking inventory of his limbs he realized everything was ok except for a sore spot on his head. He remembered going on a tour through the territories and then everything else was blank. He turned his head and saw his beauty of a wife asleep one hand under her cheek and the other draped over his middle. Her face was a mixture of blissful sleep and worry. He figured she'd hardly left his side and he realized that she was what gave him strength to fight for the light. He placed a hand on her cheek and kissed her softly. She stirred, and her eyes fluttered open, then she became fully awake when she saw him looking at her. "Oh Francis!" she sat up and leaned over showering him with kisses on his forehead, neck and cheeks. "You came back to me!" she stopped her kisses and studied his face. He was grinning from ear to ear enjoying the attention. "I was so worried. We all were." He lifted a hand to her cheek. "Of course, I came back. I have so much to live for." She smiled softly and closed her eyes pressing his hand to her cheek with her own.

Mary was so relieved when Francis was awake she realized she hadn't made sure he was really okay. "How are you feeling? Does anything hurt?" He smiled. "Besides this lovely bump on my head I'm alright. I don't think anything else suffered..." he pulled her down and rolled till he was over her. "but there is no harm in making sure." he gave her a smirk as he held her hands, so she couldn't push him away. Well he didn't have to worry about that. "No there isn't." she replied licking her lips. That was all the consent he needed before he convinced her his accident hadn't hurt anything else at all. She closed her eyes as he administered kisses and caresses to her welcoming body.

Francis ignored the occasional sting of pain from his head as he did something he'd wanted to do in the month since she'd told him she was expecting. He slid his hand down her waist and across her thigh eliciting sighs of pleasure from her lips. He started trailing kisses down her neck and her chest to her stomach. He caressed it lovingly thinking of the precious gift she was nurturing. "Francis...our...daughter...will...be...needing...me..." Mary got a word in between her sighs and his kisses. "Not yet. It's not even light out yet." Mary opened her eyes and placed her hands on his chest. "Well...that changes things." She pushed him till she was on top and burying her face into his neck she kissed it before using her hands to place his on her back and she invited him to finish what he started. So, he replied, and she inhaled sharply then gave in and let her body do what it was meant to. They came away breathless with all worries gone from their minds and their love overcoming any problems. They slept again till dawn peeked in through the windows and Mary's mothering instincts told her it was time to visit their daughter in the nursery. Francis felt as though something had happened when he was out of commission, but he would ask her when they ate breakfast together. He wasn't leaving until he felt mentally strong enough.