2

Francis left Mary sleeping to go find his brother. Mary had asked him to keep Bash safe. She was right to worry. Now that he had made a reach for the throne people would see him as a threat and not just the King's bastard. He found him in the stables brushing his gelding. "Come to finish your lecture, have you?" Bash said. Francis shook his head. "I came to apologize. I know you didn't want any of this." Bash sighed and went to the other side of the gelding. "I don't know what I want anymore. Being the King's illegitimate son leaves me unnoticed for the most part, but at the same time if I try to become someone of importance or even become a possible heir I have enemies and you and the others are threatened." The gelding snorted feeling the tension. "I know, and I hate it. You can't help your parentage, and neither can I. What I'm trying to say is..." Bash sighed. "I'm not blaming you brother. I just want the best for everybody." Francis nodded. "I'm glad because Mary has told me something that would have been bad for both of us." Bash stopped brushing the horse and looked at Francis. "If it's that she loves you more don't waste your breath. I'm not blind." Francis shook his head. "That's not it. You must promise to keep quiet about it. No one can know this. Not yet." Bash put the brush away starting to get a little worried. "Mary's with child. My child." Bash just stared at Francis then leaned against the stall door his mouth agape. "I don't know if I should be happy for you or upset that this could have caused a lot of issues." Francis stepped forward placing his hand on Bash's shoulder. Most of his anger had dissipated when Bash acted genuinely surprised. It proved that he and Mary had never gone further than a kiss. He wasn't fond of the idea of his brother sticking around with feelings for his fiancé. "Be happy. I want you to find someone to love. Someone to love more than Mary. If you want to live without fear you must leave. Once things are set into motion people may target you for reaching for the throne." Bash frowned and pushed passed his brother. "It was easier when I was just the king's bastard son. I must do as you say brother. It will be best for all parties involved." Francis nodded and clapped his brother on the back. "My guards will accompany you on your trip. Make sure you get to your destination safely." Bash nodded and hugged his brother. He knew in his heart what he wanted. He didn't need to talk to Mary to know she loved Francis more. He wouldn't give her the burden of having to tell him she wasn't going to marry him.

Francis knew his brother would most likely slip out sometime that day. Bash wouldn't want a big scene made when everything came to light. He could respect him for that. He left the stables to find Mary, so they could plan to announce their marriage was back on track. He passed Lola and Greer in the hall and nodded hello. They replied with a hello and a knowing smile. Mary must've told them, or they suspected something. He entered his chambers and found Mary still there sitting on the settee. "Things are squared away with Bash. Now to plan how we will announce that the wedding is back on." he placed a hand on her cheek and she closed her eyes. "We simply say that I've changed my mind. That even if Bash is legitimized some people wouldn't accept him and I need all the support I can get for Scotland. It may hurt Bash, but I fear I've hurt him enough already." Francis sat down beside her. "That might work. It would raise a few questions. But whatever the reason we will be together." Mary smiled. Just then a servant knocked, and Francis called for him to enter. "Your majesties are needed in the throne room. There is urgent news from England." Francis stood and dismissed the servant. "This might be the answer." he said holding out his hand. Mary took it and gave him a worried look. "I hope so Francis." They walked hand in hand to the throne room.

The Queen of England was dead. Mary was given an ultimatum. Marry the next future king of France and claim England that day. Any other circumstances she would've resisted being told what to do with her life. This was what she and Francis needed however and so it was the excuse they'd been looking for. That and the fact that Bash had disappeared earlier that day. There was no need to push the legitimization anymore. "So, Mary what say you?" Henry said all eyes of the court on them. Mary kept silent for a few minutes and then pushing back her shoulders, lifting her chin and summoning all the strength she could she stared right back. "I will do what I must for the future of Scotland and France. I will marry Francis." she stated her every word and action dripped with Queenly authority already. Francis hid a smile and did his best to act accordingly. To most he and Mary were still at odds with each other. Now all attention was on them and how they would get along. Little did they know how much they'd already mended things. "Well we have a wedding to plan." Henry said.

Mary excused herself saying she needed to prepare for the wedding. She made it to her chambers to empty the contents of her stomach out of sight of anyone. Lola and Greer came in and disposed of the contents discreetly before helping Mary change out of her simple gown. "Your mother has arrived. She is on her way to your chambers, so we thought we'd better make sure any evidence of the little one is gone." Greer said. Mary gave her a thankful smile. "I don't know what I'd do without you. You're like sisters to me." Lola squeezed her shoulder. "We know Mary. As long as we find husbands to love us like Francis loves you we'll all be happy." They giggled like they were school girls again. Mary's mother made her entrance congratulating Mary on picking the right one and brought in trunks of things for the wedding. They spent the remainder of the afternoon preparing for the wedding.

Francis hoped Mary was faring well as he prepared for the wedding. He hadn't seen her the rest of the afternoon as he was busy with his preparations. His mother was safe now that legitimizing Bash was out of the question. They just had to make it through today and they could leave for their wedding tour in the morning. He hoped people would be too excited with the prospect of an heir to worry about dates. They would have Catherine to deal with, but he was confident that when the baby was born there would be no question. He was brought out of his reverie when the servant told him they were ready for him in the Great Hall. It had finally come. The night he and Mary would be joined as one in the eyes of God, the King and their people.