5

A week later Kenna decided it was time to talk to Mary. She could tell that Francis and Mary had started to realize something was wrong with Henry and she knew they were looking for Bash. She found Mary in her chambers sitting at her desk. "Oh Kenna. I've been meaning to talk to you, but we've been so busy since returning." Mary said when the maid announced Kenna's arrival. "You have?" she asked curiously. Mary rose from her desk and made her way over to the settee motioning for Kenna to sit. "You seemed somewhat distracted when we returned, and you've been like that ever since." Kenna seemed to relax a little. "Oh Mary. You know how much Henry has been trying to get my attention? Well it's been getting worse lately." Mary took Kenna's hands in hers. "I'll see if there is anything Francis can do. Maybe get one of the potential suitors to come to court. Maybe if Henry sees one of them interested in you he'll back off." Kenna smiled and ducked her head. "Thank you, Mary, but I may have found someone already." she seemed to be holding back a little bit. "Go on." Mary said. Kenna sighed and pulling her hands away she stood and paced. "I know Bash didn't make it to Spain and I know they are looking for him." Mary looked at her curiously. "What are you not telling me?" Kenna stopped and faced her. "I don't need a suitor because I've been seeing Bash." she said matter of factly. Mary stood and clasped her hands together. "I didn't know he was sent away and he happened upon me when I ventured outside the castle walls. He noticed something was bothering me and so we talked. I found out what had happened and told him he should disappear, but he couldn't leave without figuring out who wanted him dead. Then recently we both realized the other reason he was staying." She fell silent and Mary guessed the rest.

Bash threw his catch down on the table in the cabin. He'd been out investigating and figured he would get some supper while he was at it. So far, he'd learned very little except that they were still looking for him and that the guards were paid by someone. He hoped Kenna could get some help. After two months he hoped Francis was over his anger. He dressed the pheasant and put it on the fire to cook. He changed out of his wet clothes and hung them up to dry. He was growing tired of living alone and loving Kenna was making the loneliness worse. "Help me find the people responsible." he whispered the prayer realizing it had been a long time since he'd uttered one.

Mary looked Kenna straight in the eye. "Are you carrying his child?" she asked bluntly. Kenna was taken aback for a moment, but she regained her composure. "No. We hadn't gone that far until last week when you arrived. I love him, Mary and he loves me. I want to help him, so he doesn't have to hide." she replied her voice never wavering and her gaze fixed on Mary. "I will have to discuss this with Francis, but I promise we will keep this secret. You must take every precaution. If anyone were to find you sneaking around it wouldn't bode well for either you or Bash." Kenna gave a simple nod. Mary moved to where she was standing and pulled her into an embrace. "I hoped Bash would find happiness." she pulled back enough so their faces were a few inches away. "This may not sound like something I would say, but perhaps you should become pregnant. I have no doubt Bash loves you. A child would make that love stronger and could even persuade some people." Kenna gave her a curious look. "You're right it doesn't sound like you." Mary stepped back and smiled. "Let's just say that advice comes from my own experience." Understanding seemed to dawn on Kenna. "What did you really think was the reason for my slight change in appearance?" Mary asked placing a hand on her slightly rounded stomach. Francis and she had decided to tell everyone that week. She was done hiding behind things or wearing concealing clothes. Kenna smiled and embraced her again. Kenna left to relay the message to Bash and Mary called for her maids to help her change for their announcement.

Bash was carving the pheasant when the door opened, and a draft of cold air blew in. He held the knife up until he realized it was Kenna. "I talked to Mary and she said she would figure something out." Bash finished cutting up the pheasant and grabbed two plates. "You really should stay at the castle until they do work something out. You'll be safe now that Mary and Francis have returned." Kenna took a bite of the pheasant and then handed some to Bash. "I want to be with you." she said. Bash pulled her close and kissed her till her knees went weak. "The pheasant will get cold." he said teasingly. Kenna took another bite and fed another one to Bash. "I'm not hungry for pheasant really. I'm craving something far sweeter." she said tilting her chin higher to meet his lips. The taste of seasoned pheasant and wine mingled together as she kissed him hungrily.