Don't Breathe (2016)

Don't Breathe is a 2016 American horror-thriller film produced and directed by Fede Álvarez, co-produced by Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert, and co-written by Álvarez and Rodo Sayagues

Don't Breathe is a 2016 American horror-thriller film produced and directed by Fede Álvarez, co-produced by Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert, and co-written by Álvarez and Rodo Sayagues. The film stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette, Daniel Zovatto and Stephen Lang, and focuses on three friends who get trapped inside a blind man's house while breaking into it. The film was produced by Ghost House Pictures and Good Universe and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing.
- Wikipedia

******

The film begins with a picturesque view of a seemingly deserted village slowly being zoomed in to reveal a man clad in black dragging an unconscious young lady. This scene creeps me out and truly makes me intrigued to know what is actually happening. Then it is finally revealed that it is actually the prologue, which in turn gives me a disquieting hunch that this story will not turn out okay for the main characters.

Then a door is opened, revealing the three main characters: Rocky (a girl), Alex, and Money (seriously, what kind of a nickname is that?) They just break in the fancy house to ransack it. Turns out the trio are some kind of professional burglars and they use high tech gadgets to pick the lock and to deactivate the alarm device installed inside.

I finally recognize Rocky as the young lady in the prologue. It is her being dragged by the man in black, and I instantly feel sorry for her. Sure, she is a burglar just like her two friends, but I don't think that would be reason enough to hurt anyone especially a girl her age. Again, I'm not condoning her crimes. I'm just merely condemning violence.

And then one day, Money tells Rocky and Alex about their new target; A blind veteran of war who lives in a two-storey house on a seemingly deserted village. The old man lives a solitary life with only his pet dog, Shadow, as a loyal companion. Money then tells the two that the old man has received a very large sum of money from the legal settlement regarding the death of her young daughter who has been killed in a car accident years ago. Rocky quickly agrees to go with Money's plan, but Alex refuses to cooperate, saying it is too risky to steal a large amount of money especially from an blind veteran.

Rocky tries to persuade Alex to go with them, saying via text that she desperately needs to take her little sister away from their abusive mother, and in order for her to do that, she would need the money that they could get in the blind Man's house. After thinking it through, Alex finally agrees.

I can almost see the blooming romantic love between Rocky and Alex. The way they look after each other. I mean, the writings are on the wall.

When they finally arrive in the veteran's house at two in the morning, Money throws a food (perhaps a biscuit or something) at the barking dog that is leashed beside the fence. Honestly, he could have laced the food with poison just to be sure, but he didn't, which somehow make him not that evil to me. After all, they are just burglars, not killers. But then again, their complacency about Money's trick with the dog proves short-lived. If Shadow, the dog could talk, he would have said something like, "You should have killed me when you got the chance, human!"