Urban Myths (2022)

Urban Myths (Korean: 서울괴담; RR: Seoulgoedam) is a 2022 South Korean anthology horror film, consisting of ten stories directed by debutant director Hong Won-ki, featuring Kim Do-yoon, Lee Yul-eum, Lee Young-jin and Lee Su-min

Urban Myths (Korean: 서울괴담; RR: Seoulgoedam) is a 2022 South Korean anthology horror film, consisting of ten stories directed by debutant director Hong Won-ki, featuring Kim Do-yoon, Lee Yul-eum, Lee Young-jin and Lee Su-min. The omnibus film presents stories where horror is felt in familiar everyday life places like noise between floors, old furniture, mannequins, tunnel and social media. It was released theatrically on April 27, 2022.[2]
- Wikipedia

******
It's a good horror movie, with a NOT-so-many twists. I mean, the gore is there, and more blood, BUT as you watch it more and more, you will eventually realize that all story on it wouldn't have happy endings, and so making them quite predictable, in a way. And I was right after finishing the first episode. Every succeeding story keeps getting darker and bloodier. And disturbing, as well. They will leave you thinking and wondering to yourself what the hell did you just watch.

This movie reminds me of Tales of Terror from Tokyo series, where almost every episode doesn't have a happy ending, and will leave you thinking about it and wanting more answers (that would never come, sorry!) It's also like Shake, Rattle, and Roll; the famous movie series here in the Philippines with the same dark theme and plotline (though they contain only three stories on it, hence, the title).

The first episode is okay. About a vengeful ghost of a hit-and-run victim who took revenge against the man who accidentally killed her. I just couldn't help myself to smirk when the guy wiped the seemingly handprint off the windshield, though the said handprint was obviously from the police officer who absent-mindedly touched the windshield from the outside while they were having a brief conversation. A goof?

The second is kinda okay. About a ghost of a girl who commited suicide by jumping off the building. Like the first episode, she took revenge against one of her bullies, and (obviously gaining a Spider-Manlike power after plunging to her death) climbed up the walls (which I think is so funny)  while grabbing her screaming victim, until finally letting her fall to her death (Ouch!) The episode ended with a word "You're Next!", referring to her other bully who will be the vengeful ghost's next victim.

I pretty much liked the third episode. Seems like a good plot for a good zombie origin. Who would have thought that tooth worms could be the end of humanity?

The fourth one is about two lesbian teenagers who made a disturbing promise to each other that whoever die first must resurrect the other by means of necromancy. Unfortunately, it didn't go as planned, because the girl who outlived the other one missed the last paragraph from the necromancy book she was carrying (it was torn away by unknown silly reason, and she found it out way too late. Seriously?) She was consumed (literally) by her dead lover, and now her dead lover "came alive" (HOW!!! IT WAS JUST A FUCKING GHOST, FOR CHEESE'S SAKE!)

The fifth episode is about a seemingly happy-go-lucky guy who just moved in to his new condo unit, and got annoyed by a strange "knocking" sound coming from the wall. Turned out there were two corpsed hidden inside it, and it seemed that they were the ones making the noises. They took him to another universe or dimension, and now he became the main suspect of the brutal murder of the two newly-wed couple. Great!

The sixth is a MEH. A "haunted" closet which was not really a haunted closet, but a hiding place of a creepy guy who sold it. Serial killer? Maybe. A killler ghost? Maybe? Why not? The lady just stabbed him a couple of times, and he just laughed it out, and managed to hide under the bed, before finally dragging the poor lady under there with him, and do whatever he wanted to do to her: rape her? eat her (not sexually, okay? DUH!), or just kill her (for what sane reason?) Seriously, that nerdy-looking guy was already suspicious on the get-go. If he was a paranormal being then he was as good to hiding it as he hides in the closet.

The seventh episode is so confusing and sad. Why would they want to force a guy to marry a dead woman? What for? That guy was so good-looking and innocent, and truly, he didn't deserve that kind of fate. He just wanted to be hired, goddammit!

I like the eight episode, where the lady was so insecured with her own beauty. She had a very bitchy attitude towards other women. Jealousy, dear! That will tear her apart. And as it happened, that is actually what happened to her pretty face. Kinda confusing as hell, but seriously, you get what you get. Moral of the story: just be content with your own face. Or else a creepy hand would magically come out of your smartphone and give you a once-in-a-lifetime facelift you won't ever forget.

The ninth episode is okay, too. About people turning into mannequins. The perpetrator was a mysterious guy in a black suit. The FX was good. The chase scene was unsettling (especially the face of the chasing mannequin. Scary!)

And finally, the last episode is also a MEH. I don't get the plot. Escape Room influencers? What the hell is that? And why were they killing people? What's with the pentagram and the Satanistic church? I just don't get it.

I don't know. Urban Myths is a good horror movie, but not the one that I would love to watch again. But every stories are unnerving and disturbing, I'll give it that. I'm just not really a fan of paranormal horror with a vengeful ghost or bad spirit in it (I mean, how can a ghost ever hurt you? It's just a fucking ghost!)

THIS MOVIE IS 6/10 FOR ME.