Shut In (2016)

Shut In is a 2016 psychological horror thriller film directed by Farren Blackburn, written by Christina Hodson, and starring Naomi Watts, Oliver Platt, Charlie Heaton, Jacob Tremblay, David Cubitt, and Clémentine Poidatz

- Wikipedia

******
This movie is quite scary and disturbing. I was so shocked when it was revealed that Mary's stepson was not really in a vegetative state, but only faking it just so he could spend more time alone with her.

I don't know why Stephen, the stepson, acted the way he did. I mean, was he actually a teen psychopath (or sociopath) that got obsessed with his stepmother? What happened that made him feel that way? Was his obsession towards her stepmother maternal, or just plain sexual? I'm really confused. So Stephen "killed" his biological father (he intentionally caused the car accident) just so he could be with her stepmother and keep her for himself? Was he that evil and desperate? Maybe? Psychopaths are like that, I guess. They do dumb things for dumb reasons. They just don't care for other human beings but themselves. Stephen was one of them.

At first, I was wondering about the title. Since this movie is supposed to be a psychological horror story, I thought there would be a killer on the loose and trying to get inside, so they shut themselves in. Only to find out that the killer was already in the house and welded all the window and door shut with nails, so they couldn't go out. Impressive. At least, I truly did not see that coming.

Most moviegoers say that this movie is a trash. In Rotten Tomatoes, it has a rating of 6%. It received mostly negative reviews from critics. Clearly, this movie didn't sell well in theaters. It's a fact, sure, but at the end of the day, to each his/her own. I like this movie even though it has a simple plot. The actors/actresses did a great job portraying their characters. Jacob Tremblay was so cute in this movie. Naomi Watts' acting was phenomenal.

THIS MOVIE IS A 7/10 FOR ME.