House of Chains (2022)

Abused, neglected and imprisoned in their own home, siblings hatch a plan to escape from the clutches of their fanatical parents and alert the authorities

Genre: Mystery & Thriller, Drama
Original Language:English
Director: Stephen Tolkin
Writer: Stephen Tolkin
Runtime: 1h 30m
- Rotten Tomatoes

******

This movie is obviously based on the true story of Turpin family that became a sensational news back then, and it is really heartbreaking to watch what those innocent children went through (though not everything in this movie is an accurate depiction of what actually happened.) How could any parents inflict pain and so much suffering to their own kids? And for the name of God? God would never do that to His own children, right? Right?

I find it so ironic that Tye and Laura would name their children River, Meadow, Summer, Rain, and Forrest (or was it Forest?) Clearly, those thing are parts of nature. In the outside world. And yet they wouldn't let their children experience and see them with their own eyes. They wouldn't let them explore the world because they indoctrinated their children that everyone but them were angels. And that the outside world was full of deceitful serpents and poisonous air that carry with them demons that could potentially enter and harm their bodies. What kind of a horrible depraved notion was that?

Anyway, Laura, on the other hand, was clearly merely obeying her fanatic (and lunatic) husband, Tye, because either she was afraid of him or she was completely brainwashed by him. She thought what they were doing to their children was right, and what was best for them. They loved them in their own twisted way.

This is one of the reason I hate religion and their doctrines. They serve as mind viruses to those people who think they are very special to "carry and spread the Words of God". They promote hatred and discrimination towards other people, and also delude themselves into thinking that what they do is what "God told them" to do. Sick people with sick mind. So entitled and condescending. I just hope they keep their doctrines to themselves and not infect anyone else.

At the end, I was so glad because Laura finally realized they were actually starving their children to death, and that Forrest was dying due to his appendicitis. At least, she was able to free herself from the chain her husband made her wore. She set herself loose, and at last saw what hateful monster her husband truly was. "River, go outside. Call for help!" Those lines of Laura were so invigorating and heart-wrenching at the same time. She redeemed herself in the end, though almost too late. But as the saying goes, better late than never.

Overall, this movie is an excellent portrayal of how despicable it is to have a parents with God Complexity and the danger it poses on their own children.

THIS MOVIE IS 8/10 FOR ME.