19 | "what the hell?!"

"all of the guys tell me lies,
but you don't."

how to disappear
-Lana Del Rey

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

Speaking to the police resulted in nothing for June. No further actions were taken because "nothing important was stolen." June stayed at Timothée's place that night. And the next night. And the night after that. He would notice June zoning out multiple times throughout the day, deep in thought. She was constantly wondering why someone would've stolen a picture. Her expensive headphones were laid on the kitchen counter that same night, practically screaming, "take me! take me!" And yet, they decided to steal a picture on a fridge.

Timothee knew everything about June. He knew how she liked her coffee, and he knew about her fear of moths. He knew how her eyebrows scrunched together tightly when she was thinking too hard, and he knew her jaw would tighten right before crying. Every night at 3 AM, as if his body was trained to do so, he would check to see if June was still up. And she always was. She would stare at the ceiling the whole night, trying to figure out what was so special about the damn picture. There were probably a hundred pictures of the two of them on the internet.

Timothee held her in her arms each time he saw she was still up, rocking back and forth until the thousands of thoughts in her mind had run out.

As she drifted to sleep, he would watch her for another minute before going back to sleep—just to see if she was alright.

"Stop staring at me, weirdo." June joked, her eyes still shut. She could feel his gaze.

Timothée placed a kiss on her forehead, "Sorry." he apologized, making June laugh. He shut his eyes immediately.

Timothee spent the past three days distracting June from her worries. He dragged her to two different bookstores. June had reached for a random book on the shelf and read the back cover. She put it back after concluding that she wasn't interested. Timothee still bought it for her.

While June sat on the floor of the living room reading her new book, Timothee was sitting behind June attempting to braid her hair. He would occasionally plant a kiss on her cheek.

Timothee even performed the entirety of "Drive-in Saturday" by David Bowie for her after noticing her begin to pick at the skin on her nails again. She laughed hysterically and threw a pillow at him as the song came to an end. The rest of her worries swooshed away after that.

On the second night of staying at Timothée's house, the both of them were on opposite sides of the couch, sharing one blanket. Timothée answered a call from Pete as he sent out emails with his phone on speaker. June was reading the book Timothée bought for her, occasionally tuning into the conversation.

Randomly, Pete said, "You know who has to get laid?" June let out an airy laugh from her nose after hearing his words, her eyes still focused on the page in front of her.