13

They spotted a piece of land the next morning. Merrick gave the order to ground and to supply the ship for the rest of the trip. The Captain had decided they would camp and spend the night on land and would leave the next morning. Arline had spent the day helping the crew settle on land and chose to take a break on the shore, by the growing shade of the ship, to watch the Sun fall across the horizon.

She hadn't seen Merrick in the entire day, but noticed his eyes following her every now and then, making her feel safe. Everything was going smoothly until the unwanted presence of another crew of men approached from in between the trees, a dark blond young man as their lead.

"If this isn't the Dark Prince and his hunted ship" the young man said with arrogance while leaning against a tree.

"Hello Aidan" Merrick rushed to face him "I didn't know you roamed around these islands?" He didn't sound scared, it was as if he was talking with an old friend.

"Why? You consider me a coward?" he planted himself in front of Merrick.

"No, just too lazy and lustful to leave your own kingdom" he quickly replied, unfazed by his presence.

"What are you doing around here anyway Merrick?" Aidan ignored the insult.

"Just inquiries, expeditions" he gracefully lied "The usual" he smirked with his chin up.

Merrick seemed calmed and collected on the outside, but inside he was desperate. He knew if Aidan found Arline, having two or three of his sailors killed was going to be the least of his problems.

She approached the crowd, carefully not getting too involved. But it didn't take much time for some of the visitors to take hold of her small frame, she got an awful sense of deja vu "They're traveling with a woman Aidan" one of them said while pushing her in front of him a little too violently.

"Who'd say?" he smirked at Merrick who could just close his eyes "Very beautiful, where did you find her?" Aidan used the tone of an entitled prick.

Merrick didn't answer and gestured Arline to remain relaxed, something she already wasn't and just added rage and nervousness into her system.

"None of your business Aidan" he became more protective as he was approaching her.

"Not very nice, your Highness" he grabbed Arline tightly by her arm and she instinctively pulled away "Feisty this one" he looked at her surprised but pleased at her reaction. Arline was challenging him with her eyes.

"Don't touch her Aidan, not unless you want to end up with your balls up your throat" he stepped in between them.

"I'd like to see you try sunshine" Arline really wasn't having it with this back and forth game but could only lift an eyebrow. "Your crew stays on the ship, guarded by my people" Aidan said and Arline started walking towards it "Not so fast gorgeous, you and him come with me to my camp" one of his men lifted her up too easily. She gave a fair fight but not enough to free herself from the giant holding her.

They walked through the dense and cold forest until they arrived to a very well put together campsite. Then, Aidan's men tied them up to a tree a few meters away from one of the various tents.

"We'll figure out what to do with them in the morning" the blond blinked to the brunette and charmingly smiled to the girl. Then he left, leaving them with just their thoughts in complete silence.

"This wasn't part of the trip schedule" Merrick said after hours of not speaking. The stars were already settled on the deep blue sky, while a chill breeze sneaked in between the trees.

"Who is he?" Arline asked him from the other side of the tree trunk.

"An arrogant entitled asshole" he said without hesitation and an amount of calmness that Arline found unsettling, considering the situation they were in.