sixty three

Hazel's Point Of View:

Charlie steps in front of my body, acting as a shield as we make our way towards the sound of gunshots.

I think I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't beyond terrified right now. I know that I claim to be brave, and not scared of anything, but that same statement has probably been said by half the teenage girls to ever walk this planet.

"Why are we walking into the middle of a shootout?" I hiss at my brother, disapprovingly, trying to avert his steps, but he solidly remains on course.

"Just trust me, Hazel. You're not going to like what I'm about to do, but that's just too bad, you'll have to live with it." I know that whatever Charlie is about to do, is serious because he used my proper name instead of a nickname.

From my spot behind him, I hesitantly nod my head, not liking the sound of whatever is going to happen.

My brother pulls on the back of my neck, and brings me forth, so I am now standing in front of him.

"What do you think you're doing?" I ask, close to shouting, but Charlie refuses to answer my very important question.

"Stop shooting, or she dies," my brother exclaims loudly, directing his words towards Fletcher, and Noah who instantly drop their weapons to the floor.

Charlie's knife that is held against my neck, doesn't even get close to hurting me, and I believe that this entire situation is stupid, and proceeds to give me intense second hand embarrassment. 

I cock my eyebrow in confusion. It was that easy? I think it's obvious that my brother won't kill me, but maybe they're both stupid.

Charlie doesn't look completely convinced, and glances back at our other brothers, who shrug their shoulders in an emotionless way.

Axel casually decides to shoot Fletcher in the leg, and smirks in victory when the latter screams in agonizing pain. 

I gape at my brother, who doesn't pay attention to me, but rolls his eyes.

Fletcher has now dropped to the floor, and clutches his wounded leg with both hands, sobbing lie a baby.

I mean, if I got shot, I'd probably be doing the same thing, but Fletcher's different. He gets in relationships with little girls and proceeds to try and rape them.

He's disgusting, and when I'm done with him, he will have more than just a bullet wound in his leg.

Levi raises the gun in his hand, aims at Fletcher's dick, shooting his shot without any hesitation. I can tell that the shot hurt way more than the first, because this time, Fletcher doesn't make a sound, and rolls on the floor instead, moaning and crying silently.

Noah looks annoyed, as if his reputation is being ruined by his big brother. He picks up his own gun in lightning speed, and doesn't look before shooting, resulting in my dad's shoulder getting hit.

He groans, and takes a step back at the sudden impact, before Matteo subdues Noah, with a single shot to the stomach.

I presume it's not fatal, but still, the boy drops to the ground, and doesn't get back up. That's his problem, I guess. 

We all rush over to our father, while Matteo signals for a couple of men wearing black to pick up the bodies of Noah and Fletcher.

He then demands that they are put in our basement. Who knows what that means?

We huddle around our ragged looking father, who has placed one of his hands over the bloody shoulder, trying to prevent some of the bleeding.

So far, it seems to be working, but without medical assistance, I doubt that he will last long. 

"Levi, call an ambulance. He needs to see a doctor now," Matteo says demandingly.

Levi follows his request, and pulls his phone out of his pocket, dialing 911 without a second thought.

I can briefly hear the sound of the person on the other side of the phone, as Levi communicates with them. 

"911, what's your emergency?" The muffled voice asks.

"Hi there, my family and I were at home, when my father was shot by robbers. His shoulder is producing a lot of blood, and he's going pale," Levi lies through his teeth, looking towards our father to explain his current physical state.

"Was he shot in the shoulder?" The person slowly asks, and I want to hit myself. JUST DELIVER AN AMULENCE. 

"Yes he was shot in the shoulder, what do you think I just said!" Levi shouts, pinching the bridge of his nose tightly. 

"Okay, sir, calm down. I just needed to confirm. We'll have an ambulance dispatched to your house immediately. Is anyone else injured?"

Levi eyes me carefully for a second, before shaking his head, and realising that the person can't see him. "The rest of us are fine."

"Okay, that's good. Just stay on the line with me, while you wait for medical attention. If he stops breathing, or falls asleep, you need to tell me-"

Without letting the person finish their sentence, Levi hangs up the phone, and rolls his eyes sarcastically, pocketing the small device.

He mumbles something under his breath about 'normal' people, before catching me staring at me.

Quickly, my third oldest brother plasters a happy smile across his face, and crosses the distance of the room, to give me a hug.

"Everything will be okay, Ze," he reassures me, fondling with my matted hair.

I melt into the hug, and try to cut out the sound of my father continuing to groan in pain.

Soon, the flashing red and blue lights of an ambulance fill my vison through the curtains, and the atmosphere turns to one of relief.

Matteo steps up to talk to one of the people, while I stay with my brother.

It finally occurs to me that I'm safe. No one can hurt me when I'm with my brothers.

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 51400 reads and over 2k votes- 2058. (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3 

P.S. I have an early update for you guys, just like yesterday and the day before, because I have to go to the cricket tonight, and wanted to give you all a chapter. It's unedited as usual, but I haven't used Grammarly or anything, so there will be even more mistakes than usual... Sorry for that.

P.S.S. I know that it seems like the book is coming to a close, but I can assure you all that there are at least fifteen chapters left. Hazel may have been saved, but we have yet to see the fate of Noah, and Fletcher. What about Sierra? She wasn't in the room when the gunshots went off, meaning that she's currently a free woman. Anyway, enough spoiler hints. If you stay for the next couple of weeks, then you'll read it all.