twenty seven

Hazel POV:

I watch as the house looms over Matteo and me. For the first time, I don't want to return home. I give my oldest brother a sour expression, and he gives me a blank one in return. He doesn't care about my feelings right now.

"Axel's at home, and trust me when I say that he's going to be less than happy that you shortened his day," Matteo says coldly, unstrapping his seatbelt when the car stops.

"Do I have to go inside?" I whine, sounding like a brat. 

"Yes, Hazel."

I slowly trudge out of the car, and out of the garage, sulkily thanking the man who drove Matteo and me, since my brother forgot to thank him.

The middle aged man tips his hat up to me, before proceeding to drive off. I run after Matteo, who has left me in the garage by myself. 

He and Axel stand in the kitchen, talking quietly with their arms over their chests. When I stroll into the room, they both give me the side eye, before hastily stopping their dense conversation.

"I see that you're home early from school," Axel mocks me, motioning to the bags that weigh my arms down.

"Ugh, those look like they come from a second hand store." Although Axel is trying to joke around, I don't think that it's funny.

"You're right. They are from second hand stores, every single one of the bags," I exclaim simply, staring my rude brother straight in the eyes. 

"Well, I'll be confiscating them, and burning all of the clothes items inside," Axel comments, trying to rip the bags from my arm, but when Matteo raises his hand, Axel immediately stops, and goes back to his rigid position. 

"You won't be taking her bags, since she paid for them, but they will be confiscated until Hazel learns that it's not okay to skip school, and withdraw money from her bank account without my permission. Especially 500 dollars," Matteo growls the last three words.

Axel's mouth drops to the floor before he bursts into uncontrollable laughter. "You took 500 dollars from your bank account, and bought all of that stuff, expecting Matteo to not know."

He cackles midway through his short speech, and I turn red from embarrassment. I never thought that bit through.

"I gave you a chance, Hazel. I've given you time to grieve the loss of your mother. I've given you time to settle into this new environment. But most importantly, I've given you time to adjust to your new family. However, now that you have started school, made friends, and got to know many people, I'm not as lenient. We've entrusted our secret with you, and for you to go a little while later, and sneak out, I am less than proud.

"You have snuck out of school, and proceeded to take 500 dollars out of your account, so you could spend it. And instead of spending the money on something nice, you decide to buy second hand products-"

"It's called thrift shopping," I mumble, looking down at my feet.

"Do not interrupt me," Matteo snarls, eyeing me up and down, as he tries to remain calm. "I'm taking away the things you bought today, as well as access to your bank account. Since I am your legal guardian, it will be in my possession until I trust you again. You're not going to skip school for the rest of the year. If I figure out that you are absent in a single class, there will be severe consequences. Am I clear?"

All I can do is nod my head. Matteo has been reasonable, and I am nothing by thankful that the punishment isn't as severe as I initially intended. 

"When Levi gets home, you owe him another apology, as well as the twins, because I'm sure that Charlie and Chase have been worried as to where you were today," Matteo exclaims, while Axel stands behind him with a massive grin.

"What about me? Does Hazel owe me an apology?" He asks brightly, although his eyes are dangerous.

I mock his voice in a high tone, as Matteo turns to Axel.

"Now, little brother, would you like to explain why Hazel owes you an apology?" He says skeptically, tilting his head to the side, to gauge Axel's reaction.

"Well she used up my day," my second oldest brother mentions, enthusiastically. 

Matteo rolls his eyes, before rotating his attention back to me. "I want a verbal answer, Hazel. Do you understand what I was saying?"

"Yes, I understand that what I did was wrong and that I won't do it again. I will apologize to Levi, and Chase, and Charlie. I won't buy anything else, because I can't. I think I understand." My response is not supposed to come out as sarcastic, but it does. 

"Don't give me attitude right now, little girl. I don't think you understand how thin my patience is right now," Matteo snaps.

"Okay, okay." I surrender, by putting my hands up, above my shoulders, and backing up slightly, with wide eyes. 

"Go to your room, Hazel. I need to make some work calls, and I'm sure that Axel can entertain himself," Matteo says, sounding tired, as he pinches the bridge of his long nose.

I nod my head, and turn on my heel, running in the opposite direction, trying to get to the stairs. But I hear Axel's snarky comment first.

"I don't need to entertain myself. I am an adult as well. I have work calls to make."

His whining voice makes me want to chuckle.

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 5500 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3 

Sorry for the uninteresting chapter, I am sick right now, and not feeling too motivated to write.