forty one

I decided that it was best to not tell my brothers about the text message because I don't want them to jump to conclusions like they usually do. 

Although the text is threatening, I pay no mind to it, since I'm sure Adrian can handle himself. He's strong, and tough, unlike how the mystery person described him as. 

I shake off the feeling of dread that lines my stomach and decide to get ready for bed. I brush my teeth and climb into my silky PJ pants, before placing a plain t-shirt over my head.

I know that I should probably say goodnight to my brothers, but I can't be bothered to. It's been a long day.

Without brushing my hair, or taking off the small amount of makeup I'm wearing, I hop into bed and pull the covers over my cold body.

I toss and turn for a few minutes before successfully falling asleep. 

When I wake up the next morning, I can feel the fog in my eyes, and quickly clear out the icky feeling. As I do every morning, I stretch my body, until I hear the satisfying click of my joints. 

Then, I put on a pair of black cargo pants and a dark sage oversized hoodie. I'm feeling moody today, and want nothing more than to hide from the person stalking me. As well as hide from my own body. 

After taking off my makeup from last night, and applying some more for today, I wonder downstairs, where my brothers are no doubt eating breakfast.

The sun is up, and the birds outside are up. So they must be, as well. 

As expected, each and every one of my brothers is huddled around the dining room table, whispering words to each other, softly, presumably, so I wouldn't have any chance of hearing them from upstairs. 

I try to make a subtle entrance, but Matteo's eyes instantly dart up, once he hears my footsteps against the old floorboards.

"Look who wants to join us," my oldest brother says, smirking at the other boys.

I frown, before trying to peek a glance at what they're looking at. "What are you guys doing?"

My question comes off as defensive, and my brothers all exchange suspicious looks, and most of them raise their eyebrows at my blunt words.

"Nothing that concerns you, little girl," Axel waves the topic off dismissively, as he places whatever they were looking at, behind his back.

I decide to ignore this and focus on my softest brother, who will surely be the first one to crack. However, I'm surprised when his face remains stoic and doesn't give away anything. Still, though, I can see that he wants to tell me something.

But after glancing at Matteo for half a second, his expression becomes neutral again.

I just sigh, and decide my own business, since each of my brothers refuses to tell me anything. 

"What's for breakfast?" I ask, changing the topic, knowing that my other one will get me nowhere. 

"I don't know, Ze. Make yourself something to eat," Levi exclaims, sounding as if our family has irritated him enough for a day.  

I grumble a retaliation, but for the most part, keep it to myself, and end up getting a smoothie from the blender.

When Chase, Charlie, and Levi are ready to go, I look at myself 1 final time in the mirror, before grabbing my stuff, and rushing to the car, so I don't become the reason we're late to school.

I'm waiting in the car for my other brothers to join me when my phone suddenly flashes open and a text flies across the screen.

It is from the same unknown number, as last night. I scramble to open it, as curiosity gets the best of me.

After fumbling with the phone in my grip for a couple of seconds, I unlock it, only to reveal another weird text message.

'Don't be late for school,' it says, and I furrow my eyebrows, having to read over it a couple of times.

Then, a new message comes through, and I piece 2 and 2 together. 

'I'll be mad if you miss our class together,' the second text exclaims, and I can feel the person's anger through the other side of the phone screen.

I don't respond, but my fingers shakily press across the glass screen, as if they want to. I end up typing gibberish, so I make the decision to turn off my phone. That, and also because Levi, Chase, and Charlie are walking to the car. 

When the boys get in the lovely vehicle, they silently pull their seatbelts over their bodies, and Levi begins driving as if I am not inside the car. 

Rude. 

I spend the ride to school humming away to an unnamed tune, before a sad thought cloud my mind.

Am I cheating on Adrian?

I mean we're only talking, but I still feel like I have committed to him. I don't even look at other guys anymore. He's the only boy.

But now, I'm allowing a random person over text to talk to me, and I'm not doing anything about it. Not blocking them. Reporting them. Telling my brothers. Or telling Adrian.

And to know that they go to our school, and have a class with me today, narrows down the field of people. 

And to think that the person is demonstrating stalker like behavior makes me even more paranoid.

I take deep breaths, in and out, as we drive into our normal car park spot, in school. 

Suddenly, Levi turns around in his seat, and addresses me.

"By the way, Ze. Your mafia training begins tonight, so you have better be ready."

My third oldest brother smiles, before getting out of the car.

Screw my life.

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for 19700 reads and over 1k votes- 1009. (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3