Truth Be Told

Confession time! These took longer for hopefully obvious reasons. This section went through so many damn rewrites.

P.S. I'm bad at integrating riddles but I tried, okay!

• • • • • • • • • • ✦ • • • • • • • • • •

     Riddler: It was only a matter of time before the Riddler escaped once again. If anything, you were shocked he hadn't done so sooner. He prided himself on his genius and always complained about Arkham as a facility. Too bad you couldn't ask him about it, considering you had no clue as to where he was. That was until you returned from a long day at work to see a note taped to your door. You immediately knew who it was from due to the green question mark scribbled on the front. You excitedly opened the letter to see a request for you to "find" him followed by a riddle. You rolled your eyes with a smile, happy to play his little game if it meant getting to see him again.

What gets a year older whenever it rings?

'A tree!' The answer popped into your head. But where does he want you to go exactly? The only place that came to mind was the park not far from where you lived. This was the start of a little scavenger hunt around the entirety of Gotham, going back and forth and finding all these notes hidden in plain sight. It was a nice distraction and completely in Eddie's character, which warmed your heart.

The last note you found after traversing to your favorite restaurant, spotting it not far from the waiting area, neatly tucked away behind a decorative plant. The instructions told you to think about this riddle and return to the start of your journey.

I can be sweet. I can be bitter. I can make you daydream and make you catch all the butterflies inside of your tummy. What am I?

Unlike the rest, this one's answer didn't hit you instantly. But you had time to ponder on it considering the instructions laid before you. You returned to your home and noticed the light being on. If it weren't for this whole scavenger hunt, you may have been concerned. Instead, you smiled, knowing well enough who was inside. The riddle finally clicked in your head when you entered your home, seeing Edward fixing his hair in one of your mirrors before seeing you enter. He had a bouquet of your favorite flowers in one hand, opening the other to welcome you into a hug, which you gladly ran to.

"You could have just asked me out, y'know?" You said with a smirk, nuzzling into his chest as he chuckled.

"Where's the fun in that, my dear?"

     Scarecrow: Jonathan never expected to hate the sound of a scream, especially one brought up by his fear toxin. It was one of his favorite sounds after all, what he strived to create. But this was different. Batman and Robin just had to show up and ruin yet another perfect batch of fear toxin, the now ruined fumes filling the building and stirring up panic. Jon was quick to dive for a gas mask to put under his burlap one, but most of his goons, along with the Bat and his ward, weren't so lucky. That included a certain someone, who's scream caused a deep sense of dread to fall over Jonathan.

"Y/n!" He didn't think twice before running towards the source of the sound, finding you cowering on the ground, occasionally swinging at anyone who got too close to you while backing away. The sight would normally pull a proud smirk from the Master of Fear, but this was a state Jon never wanted to see you in. He tried to place a comforting hand on you, trying to get you away from the situation before things could spiral more. But the toxin clouded your mind, forcing you to see only the Scarecrow. You let out another short scream that caused Jon to wince and recoil as you scooted away, looking around in a frantic manner while calling out for help. That reaction caused Jon's heart to ache. You were scared of him, backing away in fear, and it was all because of his creation.