SDMN ADVENT • 3 •

3rd December, 2022

▪︎

Prompt: Before Harry, all Simon saw was red. Sure, the colour was pretty enough - especially the warm shades of carmine or risqué shades of cherry - but it was nothing compared to the azure tones he starts seeing after the first time he meets Harry.

From birth, people can only see in one colour until they meet their soulmate, platonic or romamtic.

It takes Simon a bit too long to figure out just what Harry is to him.

▪︎

A slip, one slip, was all it took for Simon's whole world to turn upside down. The action had been unconscious, had had no real meaning behind it; and yet, the moment he made eye contact with Josh's new mate from work, Harry, his steady heartbeat increased tenfold.

Blue, is the first thing that popped into his mind. Simon had only ever heard or read about the colour, but from what he could suddenly see, the colour was fascinating.

Beautiful.

Simon didn't know what to make of the way Harry bit at the tip of his own tongue, his eyes bright as his lips smiled wide, puffing out an involuntary giggle as he approached Simon.

"Hey, Simon, right?" He started nervously, though Simon could sense his tangible excitement. He could see his obvious happiness at this turn of events. At Simon's almost imperceptible nod, the tension in Harry's shoulders melted and they stopped their slow attempt at inching their way up to his ears. Harry continued easily now. "I can't believe it! I almost never came but Josh was insistent that I meet you guys. He was, and I quote, 'keen for me to meet the legends behind the legend', the sap. I'm glad he's such a sap though, otherwise i wouldnt have met my soulmate!"

Simon was starting to feel the pain he was causing his bottom lip by gnawing on the inside of it. He didn't know how to say what he needed to say, as he didn't want to break the poor man's heart, if the visual appraising he was doing of Simon's body was anything to go by. The man was practically vibrating on the spot, continuously bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"I have a girlfriend!" Simon hurriedly blurted the second Harry's mouth opened to speak again. It wasn't the gentle approach he'd been trying to craft inside his head the moment he realised the room no longer had a scarlet hue to it.

"Oh, right, um, my bad."

Simon tried to avoid any more eye contact with the stranger for the rest of the night, but he messed up when Harry announced that he was going to head out prematurely.

The colour blue didn't look quite as pretty when it was the dimness to a once radiant pair of eyes that Simon was looking at.