Chapter 14

Rose

Unfortunately, Austin's school was strict on phone calls and so correspondence happened with letters, so I made sure to keep every one of them that he wrote to me in a box I bought just for it. I felt like a lovesick puppy and was always excited when the mailman would come.

Austin wrote about drills and the things he learned. In one letter to me, he made it known he would not stay beyond the year and he realized this wasn't the path for him. I felt happy knowing I'd see him again like I do but I also wondered...what does that mean? Did he realize he was stronger than he knew? Or did it mean something else entirely?

The others would write to him as well and we'd ask about Dave and another friend he had made that he spoke of often named Louis. There were other friends and other stories he told about as well. Weeks became months and the twins and I went back to school ourselves. The twins' letters became a bit less frequent but I still wrote him just as much, and so did he.

Fall became winter and he told of the contrasts between brutal Minnesota winter and Virginian winter. His words were always written with care. At first, he would send perfect letters, joking that he wasted a tree's worth to write one that didn't contain errors of any kind. But a month in, he left the mistakes in there, crossing them out and writing correct words, putting into place correct punctuations and such. I enjoyed that; it reminded me of how he was real with me, allowing me to see the imperfections in him that others were not privy to. In one letter, I let him know that and he spilled his heart to me in response, warming my own with his words.

With our time apart, I began to understand my feelings for Austin better. What I felt was this steady, constant feeling that I could not name. It felt stronger and more reliable than sweaty palms and palpitations. More sure than those physiological reactions as well. It was clear that it was more than liking, but I wasn't sure if it was quite love.

Winter eventually began to recede and with that came changes in my own life. Nova, Ty, and I joined a Bible study at our family church. Nova and I out of curiosity, and Ty mostly due to the fact that we were going. I noticed the more I went and began looking into the Word myself, the more different the world seemed.

Spring came and I noticed I read Austin's letters a bit differently. He would talk about his friends' escapades as they snuck out, at times, of the all boy's academy. What once made me smile and roll my eyes in amusement now had me raising my eyebrows, especially with the colorful language he picked up there. I had a feeling Austin was changing and I feared it was not for the better. Although, even with having this feeling, I did not want to say otherwise. I entertained his jokes but did not care for a number of them.

I joined extracurricular activities and received flying colors in classes, to which my parents were delighted. Austin and I continued to correspond with one another and the thought would gnaw at me more and more...once he comes back, will we be as close as we once were? It was a fear of mine but I never wanted to entertain it so I would ignore it. I continued going along with his comments, ignoring words like "shit-faced", "fucked himself up", and such.

Spring was drawing to a close and we wrote more often of our excitement to see one another. Regardless of the changes he seemed to undergo, I could not wait to see him either. And soon enough, the day came.

"Do you guys see him?" Aunty asks as we eye the doors of the terminal like a hawk.

"No." The twins say, but I do. My eyes widen as I spot him walk out of the airport. He's changed so much in such a short time. He lugs a heavy-looking backpack and a suitcase as well. His hair is buzzed and he wears a short-sleeved shirt with shorts. I open the car door, taking in the muscles he's added, along with more inches onto his height. Him and Ty are probably just as tall now. Even with the vast distance between us and people coming and going, he finds me easily and his eyes stay on me as we walk towards one another. His longer legs bring him to me much quicker and once he gets to me, he sweeps me into a hug, lifting me off the ground.