Chapter 9

Austin

"Rose," the ever petite girl sleeps soundly and I take that time to take her in. Two years have passed and we're fourteen now. As such, there's been changes.

Rose has matured physically as her body is changing to that of a young woman's, but not only that, she's matured intellectually, as well as emotionally. With how she was before, I didn't even know that was possible. But here she is, beating my expectations.

I take in Rose's afro puff, it's one of several styles she does and I love it. I love just about anything she does with her natural hair though. She's in a tracksuit now and even though she's fully covered, I notice how she closes in on herself a bit as if she's cold.

I grab a blanket and laying it over her, tucking in the sides to make sure heat doesn't escape. I sit back down in front of her, a smile still on my lips. I press a kiss to her forehead and note how she stirs a bit before settling again, moving a little closer to me.

"Don't go wearing yourself out, princess," I tuck a stray curl behind her ear, my hand lingering. Rose is a straight A student. She's always working hard and I'm proud of her. She wants to be a nurse and help moms during birth. I'm cheering her on all the way with this wonderful dream of hers. I'd love to see her get there. But I also know how her mother loves the idea of her being a doctor and even a CEO who has her own hospital. But that's not what Rose wants.

Sure, she's open to having a private practice, but she wants to gain experience working as a nurse first, preferably in a birth center rather than a hospital.

"She fell asleep?" I look up to see Aunty and nod, my hand still behind Rose's ear. It's not an unusual sight as she and I are very comfortable with one another, and so touch comes naturally as well. But I notice how Aunty's eyes fix on my hand.

Everyone has been aware of our feelings for one another for years, but with hormones coming into play now, Aunty and Uncle Joe want us to be cautious of how we interact physically. Although, I'm confused as to what the precise boundaries are.

I remove my hand with a frown.

"No touching at all?" I ask. She frowns as well before crossing her arms, thinking for a moment.

"You can touch, but make sure to be wise about it. And also, I would advise having someone else in the room while you two are together. The flesh is weak o," but the Spirit is willing. Yes, I know this.

I want to do right, by God, and thus, also do right by Rose. I always want to do right by her. I can't imagine ever doing wrong by her.

"Will you be here then, Aunty?"

"Yes," she takes a seat on one of the chairs in the basement, being our quiet chaperone. I don't mind. There's nothing I want to do that I wouldn't do if she were here. That's just how it is.

But oh, how things changed.