Chapter 12

Austin

I run my hand over my reddened knuckles, silent as I sit in the quiet, somewhat spacious room. The Principal sits in front of me, behind her desk, watching me carefully. I haven't said much and it's clear she's not pleased with that.

"Wait-ma'am you can't go in there. Ma'am!"

I hear two pairs of feet making their way towards the door beside me before it bursts open. Aunty stands behind it, a purse on one shoulder and wearing casual wear she must have changed into before leaving work just now. Her hair is in a low bun and aside from barging in, she looks as composed as can be. But I know Aunty, and I can practically see the irritation coming off her in waves.

Our eyes lock and she doesn't give anything away, but her expression is stern. And I don't blame her, it's not every day you get a call about one of the kids fighting in school. That's unlike us; that's not anything she and Uncle Joe have instilled in us.

Although Uncle Joe is a very good friend, he really is a father figure to us. We respect him deeply and treat him as such. He treats us like the kids he never had, and even more so, he treats Aunty with care.

To be honest...in this type of situation, it would have been best if Uncle Joe came here. It would have been more chill. I feel like if Aunty knows what really took place, she'll go off to find the kid and demand to see his parents before giving them a thorough verbal lashing, making sure to disparage his parents for good measure as well.

If this were merely a fight and nothing more, it would indeed be best for him to be here. But because of what caused the fight, I'm glad Aunty is here.

An office assistant scrambles in after and Aunty fixes her with a look that has her shrinking back, before she strides into the room. I straighten up in my chair and dip my head respectfully.

"Afternoon, Aunty,"

"Yes. Afternoon, Austin. Ty and Nova called me." It's good timing too. The office was just about to call my mother and father. Those two don't need to know about this. They don't need to know about anything. Anger courses through me at the mere thought of them.

"Hello. Who are you, if I may ask?" I turn my attention back to the Principal. Her natural composure, and the confidence coming off of her, would cause the ordinary person to doubt themselves, but not Aunty.

"I am his Aunt. You might not find me listed in his contacts, but I-"

"Then I'm sorry, I'll have to-"

"She wasn't done talking," I interrupt, cocking an eyebrow at the Principal. I don't care if we're not related by blood, I don't want anyone to disrespect her.

"No, no, let her go on," Aunty says calmly before walking over and taking a seat beside me. She sits up straight, one leg crossed over the other and her hands folded on her lap. Oh boy. The Principal is in for it now. "You were saying?" The Principal hesitates for a moment and then glances between us as if wondering about our relation.

"Sorry for the interruption," good on her for apologizing. "But as I was saying, I'll have to contact his real parents or guardians." I bristle at the last part. Aunty has been my guardian for the past two years. But since it's not anything written down, it won't be recognized. Alright then.

I pull out my phone, dialing a number before putting it on speakerphone. Aunty frowns, already able to guess what I'm doing.

"Claire King speak-oh, Austin," go figure, she didn't check the phone ID before picking up.

"Hello Mother, I'm at school right now and they need an adult to verify something. My friend's mom is here. Is it alright if she does it?" Straight to the point-there's no reason to say anything more. She wouldn't care anyways.