Chapter 17: Prey

"The world is a goddamned evil place, the strong prey on the weak, the rich on the poor; I've given up hope that there is a God that will save us all. How am I supposed to believe that there's a heaven and a hell when all I see now is hell."
― Aaron B. Powell

Jax:

Our group was arming themselves, the hardened riot armor pinched in weird places, "I'm used to this" I thought as we went over the plan. I'd stopped paying attention to what Jameson was telling the others, I knew what we were doing, I helped plan it.

"Jax, you get Locke, Las and Alice. Troy, your taking Mathews, Vince, Miter and Emmet. Alyx you take Marion and Denise, got it?" Jameson motioned towards the three of us, Troy and Alyx gathered up their groups and I was left with the three people assigned to help me take down Reynes.

"Aight people, our job is simple, soon as Alyx takes out the power for the rioters camp, Troy will break through the defenses and open a hole for the four of us to get to Reynes, he's the target, cut the head from the serpent and the body will die. Any questions?" I explained to the group.

"Sir, what are the orders on Reynes? Are we out to kill him? Or are we taking him back for a trial?" Alice looked up at me from where she was tying her boots.

"No one, and I mean no one takes a shot at Reynes....he's mine!" I looked down at them, motioning for them to arm up and get ready for the hunt.

"Yes sir!" Alice and and Locke said in unison.

"Jax? Can I speak with you for a moment?" Las pulled me aside.

"Yea, what is it?" I asked.

"It's about this vendetta you have on Reynes......it needs to stop. If you don't....I fear we will lose you, the real you..." Las looked me in the eye.

****************************************************************************************************************

Reynes:

"Sir! The Security Core is headed this way!" One of the thugs guarding me yelled through the door.

"Well stop them then, just seal the doors and we're fine!" I yelled back, seriously can these thugs not think for themselves?

"Sir? Jax is leading one of their groups! I thought we took care of this guy?" The thug opened the door to my office.

"Well then.....the kid is tougher than I thought....kill him, tell the boys whoever takes him down gets a promotion, let's see how long this boy lasts against us....." I replied, waving the thug away.

****************************************************************************************************************
Las:

"Hey Las...you hear me?" I heard Troy's voice crackle over my earpiece.

"Yea, what is it?" I whispered quietly, not wanting Jax to hear me.

"Remember, do not let Jax kill Reynes, I don't care if you have to knock Jax out, just don't let him pull the trigger, got it?" Troy reminded me of why I was here.

"Yea, I got it. Don't worry I'll think of something..." I replied, hurrying up to the front of the pack to walk with Jax.

"Hey Jax, how ya feeling?" I asked, trying to sound cheerful.

"I'll feel a helluva lot better when Reynes is bleeding to death on the ground....." He replied grimly. I prayed we wouldn't lose Jax to this cold rage today.

****************************************************************************************************************
Troy:

"Alyx you in position yet?" I asked as I led my team down the halls towards the rioters camp.

"Almost.....yea were here, the rioters guarding the power station didn't see us coming, we're in the clear for now." Alyx responded over her mic.

"Good, on my go you shut down the power, ready? GO!" I yelled as we turned the last bend, this is it. We fail today then the Ark dies with us, I pray we are enough to beat back these rioters.

A/N: The buildup continues as Jax gets closer to Reynes, question is, will Jax kill Reynes, or will Las stop him?
And who is the mystery man calling the shots?