Chapter 9: Eaten Alive

"I get up and pace the room, as if I can leave my guilt behind me. But it tracks me as I walk, an ugly shadow made by myself."
― Rosamund Lupton

I awoke to the sound of beeping, a steady pulsing beep in tune with the beat of my heart, with consciousness came feeling, a dull pain in my abdomen. I opened my eyes to a blinding white light, "I couldn't be dead....otherwise I wouldn't feel pain right? The dead don't feel do they?" I thought to myself.

"Jax? Are you awake?" I heard a women's voice ask.

"M-mom? Is that you?" I asked.

"Yes Jax.....it's me, are....are you ok?" I heard my mom ask.

"I'm....I'm fine.....I could use some water...." I responded, my throat dry.

"Ezekiel, go fetch your brother some water, and tell Titus he can bring Celia in, she must be dying to see her big brother" My mom sent my 12 year old brother out.

"Mom? Is.....is Las ok?" I asked, I couldn't help myself, it was my fault he got shot in the first place.

"Jax....he's...he's hurt bad, the doctors don't know if he'll pull through or not....I'm sorry, I know the two of you are close...." My mom said, her voice had a saddened tone to it. The door opened and I saw a flash of long brown hair and heard the excited laughter as Celia, my 7 year old sister dashed into the room.

"Jax! Jax! I knew you would be ok! I knew it!" Celia stopped next to my bed, she looked at me with her sparkling green eyes and her traditional brighten your day smile.

"Celia! How's my favorite sister doing? You making sure momma has her hands full?" I asked her, smiling myself.

"You know she has, Jax it's her job to annoy mom!" I heard Titus say from where he stood in the doorway. My family was a odd bunch of kids, the youngest was Celia with her long brown hair, gap between her front teeth, freckles and sparkling green eyes. Titus, who was ten, shared the green eyes of his younger sister, had dirty blond hair and a bright smile, he had a stockier build like our father before him. And last but not least Ezekiel, my twelve year old brother, he looked more like me than the other two, we both share the same brownish hair and ice blue eyes of our father, Ezekiel was built more like me, tall and lanky, his braces reflected the white lights whenever he smiled. The door opened, and in came Troy and Alyx, wearing the same expression of crazed worry.

"Troy, Alyx? What's wrong?" I asked, trying to hide my concern.

"Jax.....it's Las....he....he's in trouble.....he....he flatlined twice in the past fifteen minutes!" Alyx said, fighting tears.

"Oh my god.....I have to see him....." I started to get up.

"Jax no, you're hurt!" Troy started moving to stop me.

"Troy, please.....he's my best friend....and it's my fault he's hurt.....I hesitated.....if he dies.....I....I don't know what I'd do with myself....." I pleaded Troy.

"Fine....but Jax....it's not your fault....no one can blame you for having a heart, no more than we can blame ourselves for losing our home on earth, it's our fault for not training you just as it was our fault not to prepare ourselves to fight off anyone....." Troy said putting his hand on my shoulder.

"I know....it's just.....I feel guilty for what's happened...." I said as we left for Las's room.