Chapter 16: Cold

"No matter how cold this world gets, please don't lose touch of morality and allow it to turn your heart cold."
― Edmond Mbiaka
Las:

"We can't actually let him kill Reynes can we?" I asked Jameson. Troy, Alyx, and Jameson were the only ones in the room with me, Jax was cleaning up and getting ready. Our final push was coming up, either we take down the rioters or we lose the Ark.

"No, we can't. If he does then we've lost him, and I'm not letting that happen....ever." Alyx looked over at me.

"I agree with my lil sis. Jax can't kill Reynes. If he is allowed then we've let him turn cold, at that point everything we love about the kid is gone, his way of bringing us together, his ability to defuse tension, all of it...gone... Replaced by a cold, dark, heartless thing, who's only goal in life is to bring revenge upon those who have caused him suffering." Troy put a reassuring hand on Alyx' shoulder.

"Right, but in the meantime we have to let him think he gets to kill him, or he won't help us." Jameson was looking through the reports our scouts had brought him.

"Right.... Look at us...here we are making empty promises to our friend, I doing like either of these ideas, what happens if he feels betrayed? What if he finds out our plans? What then?" I asked.

****************************************************************************************************************
Reynes:

"So it's done?" I looked at the two thugs in front of me.

"Yes Reynes, I don't think that Jax kid will be bouncing back anytime soon." One of the two smiled darkly as he spoke.

"Good, you're dismissed, I have other business to attend to." I waved them away. After they walked out a dark dressed man walked in the room.

"Is it done? Is the kid out of the picture?" His voice rasped from behind his mask.

"Yes sir, the plan to take over the Ark is going as planned, it's a shame though, killing Adeline. I know you two were close." I responded, testing my boundaries again for the umpteenth time.

"Ms. Carlisle was a necessary and regretful sacrifice. We couldn't kill the boy, no....we need him still, we need to bring him to our side." The man answered, showing little emotion to my test.

"And what if we can't? Then what am I to do?" I asked.

"Then, and only then, do I give you permission to end his life." He rasped back.

"As you wish sir, if that is all I would like to return to my plans to take the bridge." I attempted to dismiss him.

"Do not forget your place Scott, you are expendable to this cause." He replied, his tone icy. I watched as he left the room. "Expendable? Me? He will get his one day, that damned creep!" I thought to myself as he left.

****************************************************************************************************************
Jax:

The lights flashed...no...not lights....lasers? We didn't use lasers on the Arks, I looked around not recognizing where I was. A planet? But how's that possible? I looked down, I was wearing battle armor, but any kind I've ever seen before....this was....new? I heard shouts in the distance, I looked over to see more men in armor, their combat helmets still on. Where's mine? I looked around and saw it laying in pieces on the ground. Getting up I grabbed some kind of pulse rifle, and rushed to where the other....I don't know what to call them....soldiers? Yea that sounds right....I got over there and pushed ahead to see what was firing on the position. Large alien like creatures stood on a nearby ridge easily standing 7ft tall, they held monstrous guns and were suppressing us with what seemed to be some kind if plasma round.

I woke in a sweat, "What kind if dream was that? Those weren't Ausländer....they were different..." I thought to myself. I didn't know what to think...but it was cold in here, the rioters must have taken down the areas heating systems.

A/N: Enjoy! Feedback is welcome!