Chapter 54

Chapter 55

The loud beeping of the monitor rang in my head, continuously. I sat on the recliner seat, leaning all the way back before my eyes pressed shut. I occasionally peeked and looked at Beatrice, hoping she'd be awake but every time I did, I only lost hope.

Arnold stood nearby, the door, waiting for King to return from the grocery store. It had been a few minutes now and the silence was killing me, it was taking me into the path I didn't want my thoughts to go, it was forcing me to remember the night, the words, the woman.

She knew when King was arriving, she heard him but did she knew him? Did she knew it was King coming for my rescue? I learned a while back and that werewolves kept an eye on each other, especially Alpha's.

And who were they? Who was she talking about? Who wanted to take me? Who was threatening me? Was someone still behind me? After eight years?

I dreaded knowing the truth and ever returning to Barnsley but today, I was confused, my mind smushed and my thoughts scattered. I didn't know what to think or what to believe. The sheriff at the station told me they couldn't figure out who had killed my parents but the woman from the church I went to when I was a child told me they were going to come for me if I didn't skip town.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door.

Someone was here.

I jolted up awake and twisted my head around slowly while Arnold attended the stranger outside. For a split second I thought it would be King but he wouldn't knock.

"Yes?"

It was silent for a second and I grew worried as I couldn't see the stranger outside since it was dark in the room. It wasn't just one stranger, it was a group of two/three men to the least.

"I had been informed that a couple of pack wolves have crossed my territory. It was only fit enough to see it myself." The man said, his voice deep and rough. "What are you doing here? And how many of you are here?" He continued, a clear threat in his voice.

My eyebrows shot up and my attention quickly diverted away from Beatrice. I stood up from the recliner and walked closer to the door but not close enough for them to see me.

Who were they? Territory? I supposed it meant that Barnsley had a pack of werewolves and unwanted wolves weren't allowed.

Arnold cleared his throat while still holding the door and standing in front. "I don't answer to anyone except for my Alpha. You'll have to wait till he returns and he'll be able to—answer you." He replied without any emotion or fear in his voice.

"An Alpha? Who must that be? Which pack do you come from?" The man asked, shooting his brow at Arnold who stayed stern.

When he didn't respond, the man took a sniff before his eyes snapped to mine. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest upon him finding me behind Arnold.

"A new wolf. A pup. What are you doing here?" He asked me.

I took in a few deep breaths and walked over to the door. "I'm just here for my friend. She got into an accident and she's in terrible condition. We can't leave until she has woken up." I responded but something didn't seem fit.

Why did he call me a new wolf? Did he know that I had just shifted for the first time recently? King had called me a pup several times but all those times I assumed he was giving me a sweet, little nickname.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible. As the Alpha of this pack, you stepped into my territory without my permission and that sums up to a threat and I don't take threats." He said, gritting his teeth as his eyes darkened with anger.