Chapter 10

The wiper moved across the windshield of the car after every thirty seconds. It was drizzling but the rain was yet to come. Just from the looks, I could tell it was going to be one night.

I moved my head from everything and kept my attention over the man I was on a date with. We had a small conversation before we arrived at an unknown location farther away from civilization.

"I hope I'm not getting kidnapped," I said as a joke while stepping out of the car.

We had stopped near a steep hill and in the void darkness I barely made out anything until King brightened the headlights of his car. Suddenly, everything was bright and beautiful. There was a wide lake spread out for miles with a waterfall. The sound of water hitting the water soothed down my nerves and I stepped closer toward the lake.

"This is beautiful!" I exclaimed without a thought.

King slammed the door of his car shut and stepped to me. "I told you, there are places in this town you haven't seen or known about." He whispered and stood beside me. He had a tall frame compared to mine. I barely met with his shoulders.

I moved my gaze away from the waterfall and lake and took a glance at my surroundings, hoping I would recognize the place but nothing clicked in my mind. The drive was of at least thirty minutes away from my house. There was no one, not a single soul around us except for the crickets chirping all around the trees and the bushes.

"No one lives around here?" I questioned while circling around. There wasn't a single house we passed by when coming here. The place was empty, free of people and it felt peaceful.

"No one." King responded with a grin over his face. "The town has it's own history and this entire land comes underneath Frostford. Fortunately, places as these haven't been discovered yet or they would be crowded." He crouched down while talking to me.

I didn't move my eyes away from the waterfall. It was just breathtaking. "How do you know about this place?" I questioned out of curiosity.

"My father owned a farmhouse nearby. It was common of me to come here every weekend with him during summers. The water was warm and perfect to spend an evening in. Just behind the waterfall there is a cave and I'd take you in but I don't want to risk freezing you to death in this weather." King said, his voice warm yet rough at the same time. There was humor in his eyes when he looked at me.

I let out a short giggle, "It's too cold." I shivered and clasped my arms together. Even the thought of touching the water forced the hair over my skin to rise.

King straightened and turned away from me. He headed back to his car and returned several minutes later with wood and camping gear. He was all prepared and I was surprised.

"This should be fun." I said, excitedly.

It took a while before everything was set up right where the water met the land. There wasn't much handwork for me to do. I sat over the chair and simply stared at him, admiring his body flex as he picked up the wood and set the fire. The fire warmed me up quickly and calmed my cold nerves. The drizzling stopped momentarily but the storm was still on it's way. Neither of us were sure when it would start raining.

I didn't care.

This was perfect and I was in complete disbelief to why this all was happening.

To me.

"We should be set for a few hours." King said while glancing at the sky and studying the weather. There was something intelligent about him that made me feel stupid for a second.

"Winters..." I shivered again.

"Winters are beautiful but they can get dangerous," He stooped low beside me before sitting down. I felt a subtle shift inside me as he continued, "Just as woman's heart. Don't you accept?" He cocked his head at me and waited for my response.

I shrugged, "I wouldn't know."

He leaned back and folded one leg across the other one. "Tell me about yourself, Eos."

"There isn't much about me. I've barely lived my life. And the life I have lived was miserable so sharing it would just cause more misery." I drew my legs toward my chest and said while a powerful wave of peace crashed over my wild running thoughts. "If there was anything interesting, I would've mentioned it." I spoke with all honesty and then shifted the question to him. "Tell me about yourself, King. Something about you is intriguing and mysterious."

He let out a loud chuckle while his palm faced the flaming, hot fire. Even when so close, he didn't feel the pain anyone would by touching fire. "My life is an open book. You can read it anytime you wish." He breathed hard while keeping his gaze away from mine.

"But you hold a secret, don't you?"

"Don't we all?" His head snapped over to mine. "It wasn't a very long time ago when I left this place but leaving this town was the only thing that led me to find peace. Coming back here takes me back, it brings up all those memories I've been trying to forget." He closed his eyes for a minute and let out a sigh while stress took over his beautiful features.

"So, why did you come back?"

"I had to. I needed to take on a few responsibilities."

"Why did you leave?" I asked under the dark night.

His eyes opened and they darkened, almost turning black. His expression tightened upon my question and he grew serious. "This town has a lot of secrets and it's dangerous for newcomers. The secrets that drove me out of here are the same secrets that bought me back." He explained in terms I couldn't understand.

Some things were making sense but some were not. Adults of the town were never interesting enough to have my attention. I barely cared about the news or anything dangerous things happening around here.

"What kind of secrets?" I was curious than ever.

"You don't want to get involved, Eos. It will swallow you up in whole." He placed his hand over my hair and pulled a lock between his fingers before running it down till my shoulders. "I've travelled the entire world yet I haven't seen such innocence and beauty anywhere." His eyes shone underneath the moonlight while they held mine.

"I am anything but innocent." I lined my lips together and said before placing my palm over his chest. "Anything but innocent." I repeated to make myself clear.

Read up to Chapter 45 on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr