Chapter 46

46

The mere sound of a bustling city perked my senses. There were people everywhere. So many roads, so many cars, and so many people. I looked outside the car window, watching the skyscrapers flash by me. King's hand tightened around mine and I turned my head around.

"I'm sorry, it's just so much to take in. I haven't left the town since I moved in with my Aunt. I had no idea what outside looked like." I quickly said while catching my breath. My nerves were jumbled up over the past hour. I couldn't think straight.

It happened out of blue. I did remember to drop a message to Beatrice about my whereabouts in case she got worried or if Aunt Carol woke up. I had left the town, for the first time in almost seven years. It was something big for me.

"Not once?" King cocked his brow, surely surprised but not as much as I was.

"Not once," My lips tightened into a smile as I shook my head. "I was always just scared to leave the town by myself and there was no one really willing to hop along with me anywhere." I continued, remembering the past few years and how I had wasted them by doing terrible things and being with someone more terrible.

"That's okay. I'm here now and you have a whole—" He paused momentailty, glanced at his watch, and returned his eyes to me once more. "Twenty hours with me."

I tried to keep the excitement in but it was nearly impossible to do so. After sharing another smile with King, I turned my head back around to the car window and continued staring at the beauty passing by me.

It was all just beautiful.

We had landed just right when the sun was going to rise and yet the city was bustling. I wondered what would happen once it was daytime. The driver, Arnold, drove us from the airport and into the city. He kept driving for a good fifteen minutes before we entered one of the residence communties.

The towers here were higher than any other towers I had seen over the years. They were formed in a block of four structures facing each other. We crossed the slope that led the car into the community and then we came to a halt near one of the tower's entrance. I assumed it would be a hotel but it didn't look like a hotel from the interior, it rather seemed like a luxury residence.

"We are here." King announced before stepping out of the car.

Arnold headed to my direction and opened the passenger door for me, letting me out with ease. I thanked him once more before brushing my clothes straight. The jet ride to the city left me exhausting. We were on air for two hours before we landed.

"I hope you're not confused, this is where I live whenever I'm here." He said, walking near to me.

We walked past the lobby and the reception of the tower before entering the elevator. It was a hundred storey high building, one I had never seen before. It had me gaping, everything—it was all insane and new to me.

King pressed the button and soon the elevator stopped at the seventh floor of the tower. The hallway was lightened up with golden lights as we stepped onto the floor. I closely followed King and Arnold into one of the apartments only soon to realize it was a double-storey penthouse, overlooking the entire skyline of the city.

"Do me a favor, Arnold, warm up the house a little." King whispered in the complete silence.

I wandered around, near to the tall windows that stretched upto the roof the penthouse and gazed at the night sky. The moon appeared to be bigger here but it was only going to be a few more minutes before it would fade and the scorching sun would appear. The weather here was no different than Frostford, it was cold but I assumed from all the gas and the population, it would get a bit warmer here during the day.

"Do you want to drink something, Eos? You seem tensed and I hope it isn't because of me." King approached me with a drink in his hand. He had rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and removed the jacket he had worn on the way.

A small laughter left my throat, "No, no, it's not because of you. Although, I should be terrified of you but I'm not, not right now." I clarified.

He sighed, "That's good. You have nothing to be scared of. I wouldn't harm you or let anyone else harm you." His hand stretched forward and one of his fingers reached for the abandoned strand falling over my face. He pushed it behind my ears while presevered the eye-contact between us. He just looked at me for a long minute before shaking his head and asking, "Do you want to change? Those clothes must've become uncomfortable by now."

I swallowed hard, "I didn't pack anything."

"That's alright. I had ordered a few clothes earlier for you," He turned around a little, directing his eyes toward a door, possibly a bedroom door. "You'll find them in there. Take your time."

I gave him a nod before heading to the room where I could find a fresh pair of clothes to wear. The dress did become uncomfortable, just as I had expected it to but thankfully, I could change.

As I stepped inside the room, my gaze fell over the tall crimson and peach walls and then the large bed. It was a bedroom, just as I had expected. My fingers raced across the perfectly made bed that needed to be ruined.

Clothes, Eos.

I reminded myself.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr