Chapter 4

Tonight was all about having a change after being stuck in the same loop for days. It usually started with fighting with Bryce and ended with listening to Aunt Carol nagging at me. There were shifts I picked up every now and then as I was looking forward to events, small or big. They cheered me up more than working in a boring bar or café across the street.

And tonight was full of entertainment.

The women at the stage gracefully danced around the singer inside the well-lit mansion. I recognized a few of the dancers that descended all around the grand staircase and back up, keeping the atmosphere of the event calm and collected. More and more people began walking around and drinking. I found myself admiring the way the high-class people walked, it was different, and it almost seemed like they weren't even here. They flew through the air, spoke with elegance, ate with manners, and weren't strained from all the worries in the world.

Why?

I slipped a glass of champagne from the server passing by and took a small sip of it. Everything is under control. I reminded myself. My heart felt lighter than ever—without having any kind of drug. It was uncommon but I wanted it to stay that way.

"Don't drink too much, Eos! You might just end up in the hospital." Liz said as she swept past me in her coral dress.

I clicked my tongue and turned around before she could disappear. Her taunts hadn't stopped leaving her mouth. "What is your problem?" My hand tightened around her elbow. I held it tight as her nerves throbbed underneath my tips.

"Leave me."

"What is your problem?" I repeated.

"I don't like you and I don't like you. What are you even doing here? Why don't you just go get drunk and pass out on some street?" She questioned with a face full of annoyance and irritation. Her brows kept picking up and dropping and the wrinkles she tried to hide appeared again.

"Why don't you mind your business?" I asked, humbly.

Liz was among one of those girls I had met through high school. She was always around to pick a fight with anyone she didn't like. And also, one of the prettiest models in town. Her face was brimming with goodness and bliss. Everyone was oozed by her beauty. It was hard to turn eyes away from her.

In most of the events I was called upon, she was there, like always.

"I don't like you around," She slapped her hand over mine, moving it away. "And don't put your filthy hands on me again." Her eyes narrowed to a little red spot over her arm. "God. Monster." She eyed me before leaving.

I quickly bought my hand in front of my eyes and examined my nails. I never held her tight, and I had no nails. It shouldn't have left any mark on her.

She is dramatic. An inner voice in me spoke before I turned around and resumed flying in the air—as we were supposed to do for the next few hours or until the event was over.

The main guests had been welcomed into the mansion and as soon as the welcoming party was over, so was our work. All we had to do was just be around for the rest of the evening and there was nothing much better than enjoying a free dinner and drinks.

King Emerson.

My eyes clicked toward him as I finally found him walking out of Mayor Harden's office. Upon seeing him first, I found myself oozing over his mystical beauty that couldn't be found even when searched everywhere. He was a beautiful man that took my breath away for a second.