Chapter Eleven

"Hey, Jenna. Can we have the room?"

I looked up from my naughty Harlequin book to see Sophie clamp her hands together in front of her with an added expression that resembled begging. Jhett was behind her, reaching around to wrap her up.

Lovely. Was it sex-capade time already?

"Normally we ask Robert, but we feel kinda bad giving him the boot all the time."

"Yeah, sure. I can read anywhere." I sluggishly sat up, slipped on my flip flops and moseyed towards the door.

"Thank you!" she called out.

It occurred to me that I just left the safety of my quarters with a dirty book in my hands, and instead of braving the room to trade it out, I opted not to burn my eyes with the images behind that door. I pressed the cover of my Harlequin novel into my body and headed down the stairs.

The common room was surprisingly full, so I decided to see if Robert was up in his room.

Better be, since I gave up mine to the horny teenagers!

Sophie and Jhett started having sex a week ago, so they were all over each other like peanut butter on jelly. Like freakin' honeymooners.

As I came off the stairs and turned into his hallway, I was stopped dead in my tracks by a sharp, "Ms. Baker!"

Crap! I was in such a daze I didn't realize there was anyone on the floor. And never ever had I come across a teacher patrolling the hallways – I figured it to be as likely to happen as an urban legend these days.

My neck stiffened and I turned around. It was Ms. Newell, dressed in the same khaki pants and polo shirt she always seemed to be sporting. I had her for P.E. and she was also the female volleyball and basketball coach.

"Going to see your boyfriend?"

"No, we broke up," I said a little too quickly. Did she even know that I had one?

"Sure you did." She spun me around by the shoulders and kept her hand on the back of my neck as she guided me down the stairs. I got quite a few grins as we passed through the commons. Some of my fellow classmates knew Robert and I were dating and knew exactly where I was headed when I got busted.

"What's your room number?"

"Three twenty-four," I mumbled. I felt so stupid being escorted like this.

"So if you weren't intending on going into a room, what were you doing roaming the male halls?"

"Strolling. I wanted to sit and read but the commons were full."

"Stroll in your own dorm next time. Detention tomorrow morning at five-thirty in the AM."

"Five-thirty?!" I shrieked.

"You're going to mop the weight room floors and wipe down all the equipment in the room with disinfectant. The machines are sticky and smelly from all the sweat build-up."

My face puckered like I bit into a lemon. "That's disgusting!"

She smiled, "Then I've done my job at deterring you from doing this again. And if I do catch you in those halls again, I'm going to have you de-clog all the shower drains in the girl's locker room."

I groaned, and as I jiggled my keys in the door and cracked it, I could tell that the light was off. I asked, "Don't you have chalkboards I could wash or erasers that need banging?"