Chapter Seven

Sophie and I met after sixth period and slowly made our way through the main courtyard. It was clear and mild out, and the sun kissed our skin with the perfect amount of warmth. So we couldn't help but stop at one of the running fountains to dip our feet in.

The sculpture had a skinny base that fanned out as it became a large bird's nest with several baby birds facing out in different directions. They looked to the sky for their mother, mouths open and awaiting food. Water shot from their mouths and fell into the pool, but the base was so large that we only got hit with the faintest of droplets.

I knew the glistening swirls of water before me were harmless, but my heart still sped up a wee bit faster when the cool liquid made contact with my skin.

"So you wanna hear some gossip?"

"Always." Unless it was about me and my stupid jump, of course.

"I heard that Lena chick from our history class last year didn't come back 'cause she got knocked up by that Jeremy kid."

Alright, I'm not really one for gossip, but pregnancy scandals always rocked the house.

Gasping, I cried, "Seriously?"

"Yep, and in every athletic class today, every guy in this school got handed a box of condoms."

"What?!"

"That's what Jhett said in his text to me earlier. So I'm thinking it's gonna be a little hard sneaking into opposite dorms for a while. At least until this blows over."

Not so much a problem for me since Robert and I hadn't advanced beyond simple kisses, but Jhett and Sophie were a little more hands-on than we were. Robert had already been given the boot once this week 'cause their heavier make-out session required a little privacy.

"Wouldn't giving them condoms just encourage them to have more sex?"

"Probably not. Either they've got a girl willing to ride 'em or they don't."

Sophie abruptly screamed and her body jerked forward, but I swear I jumped a hell of a lot higher than she did. Luckily, I immediately felt the familiar comfort of Robert's hands on my shaky shoulders, and he pressed down to ground me to the fountain's concrete base. That's when I realized Jhett was flat against Sophie's back and had thrust her forward, but not really far enough to push her into the water.

She playfully shot up and chased after him through the sea of people, trying constantly to swat after him. My heart found its way back to my chest and I tilted my head back to see Robert smiling down at me. He knew better than to do that to me, as I was still a little wary about pools of water.

"Hi," he said, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

"Hi."

He grabbed my bag as I stepped out of the fountain and slipped my shoes back on.

"So Jhett and I were thinking we could double date tonight."

I glanced as Jhett and Sophie rushed by us again, and I spat out a sarcastic, "Oh, goody."

He laughed at me and gave my back a little shove toward the dorms. "Come on. You know it'll be fun."

At six, Sophie and I met them in the commons and headed outside. I can tell you three things about Robert's car. It's black, it has two doors and it says Infiniti on the back...but that's all I've got. Sophie and I literally had to squeeze ourselves into the backseat and we quietly whispered all the way to the restaurant. It drove the guys nuts – and that's totally why we did it.