in Between pt4

“So, what’s the movie tonight?”

Stanley and Hector watch movies at least every other night. They were chilling in the kitchen as Stanley put away dishes and Hector watched.

They had just gotten back from dinner with Twitch and Magnet, who were setting up their van for sleep. A small part of Hector hoped Stanley wouldn’t want to watch a movie, since he planned to sneak out to talk to Twitch and Magnet more.

Still, he’d rather hang out with Stanley over just about anything.

“Home Alone 2,” Hector answered.

Stanley’s face grew concerned. “You cried during the first one, though.”

Hector shrugged a shoulder. “Is it the same?”

“... Pretty much.”

Hector cried because the movie reminded him of when his own mother left him at a park when he was younger. The reuniting of the son and mother broke him.

“Maybe not that one, then,” He decided.

“Have we watched Tarzan?”

“Tar-zann,” Hector echoed.

Stanley smiled down at him. “We’ll do that one, then.”

“Tar-zan. Ze-ro-ni. Tar-zeroni.”

-

Two large bean-bags were placed for Stanley and Hector’s movie nights. A large TV took up a portion of the room’s wall.

Hector sat in his assigned beanbag, a plum hue. It swallowed him up. He isn’t the most talkative person, but Stanley knows something is up.

Stanley plopped down on the rose beanbag next to him, which seemed much more size-appropriate. He had the remote in his hand, so Hector expected him to turn on the TV, but after a moment, he hadn’t.

“Are you upset, Peach?” He asked.

Hector flinched, fully ready to ignore everything and just watch a movie.

He answered, “No,” As dry as ever.

Stanley wasn’t one to push Hector to talk, he was pretty good about letting him talk on his own. He has to know something is wrong.

He waited a second, then two. He lifted his hand to turn on the TV.

“Please talk to me.”

He clicked through for the screen of the DVD to show up.

Hector didn’t look up, but stared at the floor in front of him, barely lit in the dark room.

Why did Stanley sound like that? He’d never asked for anything like that.

Did he?

It was always encouragement, or chastising, or admiration.

Pleading. Like he was trying to get Hector to come back to Camp.

“Hector-!” Said Stanley.

Hector looked at him, but he was blurry. Light from the television illuminated him, yet his features were unclear.

Blurry?

Oh. Hector was crying. It’s been a while since he last cried outside of a movie.

Stanley shuffled out of his beanbag, and Hector found himself moving towards him. Large arms engulfed Hector, and his head rested against the familiar chest. Better than a beanbag.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Stanley muttered. Hector didn’t know what he was apologizing for. Asking him to talk? That’s silly. If he could only ever talk to one person on earth for the rest of his life, it would be Stanley.

They sat there together for a minute. Not even the air conditioner made noise. Hector just listened to the other boy’s heartbeat slow down.

“I’m sorry,” Stanley said again, “I don’t know what’s wrong, and you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to, but I’m here.”

Of course you’re here, Zero thought, You’re hugging me.

Still, he appreciated the sentiment. It hurts to think he’ll live the rest of his life like this, not being able to talk to Stanley.

But, he doesn’t even know what to say.

It’s not like he can right now, his head is completely surrounded by Stanley’s arms and torso.

“Do you still want to watch the movie?”

Hector nodded a yes against his chest. Neither of them moved, because then, they knew, they would have to seperate. The fact that Hector hasn’t stopped crying isn’t something he’s ready to admit. Stanley is also very comfy.

As Stanley sat back into his seat, Hector followed him. He sat in with him in a way that meant he wouldn’t be able to see the TV most of the time, but they both knew it was fine. This is how they usually ended up anyway, in the same beanbag.

Silly sounds came from the TV. Hector was focused on Stanley’s heartbeat.