83 // crackers and cream cheese

I set the laptop on the bed after finishing the last practice questions. Cam tips his head back against the wall, his eyelids drooping.

"Well, that's it. When's your Bio exam?" I ask, curling on my side and hugging my elbows. His knees are pulled to his chest and his bare feet rest next to my sprawled legs.

"Um, Wednesday. Thursday is Human Sex then and African Studies; Calculus on Thursday then Muggle Studies on Friday afternoon."

"Then you're done? You're officially a junior?" I grin at him, and he smiles weakly.

"Yup. Then summer."

"Any big plans?"

"I think Mom and Gabriel are going to the south of France for a couple of weeks, then dad has a conference in Prague... but I think I'll stay here and get a job. How about you?"

"Just hanging here, if we don't move."

"Cool. Have you been to the lake in Spryfield?"

"No, where's that?"

"Just outside of the city. I'll take you sometime."

"Okay."

We sit in a companionable, exhausted silence, and my stomach growls hungrily.

"Do you want something to eat?"

"Sure," he replies, reaching for his laptop and resting it on his knees. "Anything."

I make a blue ceramic plate of crackers and cream cheese and take it back into the room. "I have cracker sandwich..."

I stare at Cam, his laptop upside down on the comforter and his head tipped in a painful-looking position. He breathes softly, sleepily.

I set the plate on my dresser and move his laptop (right-side up) to safety.

I dither beside the bed. I very much want to curl up on the bed beside him and have a nap too... but what about the thing we're not talking about?

I tug on his shoulder, and guide his fall so he lies lengthwise instead of folded sideways. Then I lie beside him, enveloped in his lovely, comforting scent. I close my eyes and fall into slumber.

***

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY WAKE UP?!?!??!?!