mother's day

today is the day. the day i will attempt something so ridiculous i think i will die.

it's not suicide.

but something extreme. something i have been planning for the past year or so. and now. i am ready.

i grab the black backpack from the side of my bed and the black beanie from the dresser. taking one good look at the mirror before heading out the door.

"where the hell do you think you're going?"

shit.

"harry's" i said his name being the first thing that popped into my head.

"you are not leaving this house. it's a very special day" he approaches me while i take one step back.

i do this until i am at the edge of the stairs and could feel myself already falling thousands of feet to the ground.

"it's mother's day not father's day. you have to wait a month geez" i say to keep him sane.

"really? i thought it was father's day then mother's day"

"no"

i dash down the stairs and reach the front door.

"okay you can go. but get ready for when you come back"

"you wish" was the last thing i said before i headed out the house.

i run across the street as i feel his eyes watching my every move. goddammit why does he have to watch everything i do. it's really annoying and uncomfortable.

i knock on the door and niall answers.

"oh hi zayn" he says pushing back his dirty blond hair.

"hi" i go inside and he closes the door.

"what are you doing here?" niall asks.

"escaping from my father"

"oh"

"also trying to see if i can find my mother"

"didn't she... like, disappeared?"

"well yea until easter's newspaper came in i thought i was never gonna find her. but today is my lucky day"

i take out the newspaper i took from liam's porch a month ago and show it niall.

"that's..."

"i know"

"and it's opening today"

"i know that too"

"this is your chance"

"stop stating the obvious" i snatch the newspaper from niall and put it back into my backpack.

"so that new construction project was by her all along..." niall said as he sat down on the couch.

"this is just wonderful isn't it? and it's mother's day!" i shout with glee.

"wait what?" niall's face drops.

"you didn't know?"

"i thought it was the last sunday"

"you thought wrong" i said and stood up.

"i need to call my mom. and no wonder why liam and harry were being very pushy about me wanting anything today. ugh, i should have known. why am i so stupid to forget something that i should be able to remember easily"

as niall worries about mother's day i begin to run through my plan again. making sure everything will go right, including what i say to her.

after some time, which seemed like hours but actually minutes, niall stops pacing back and forth on the living room and goes upstairs.

without notice, i take leave of his house. honestly, i don't understand why i had to stay here this long in the first place. i could miss the grand opening.

i make my way to the truck and start the engine. feeling relieved.

. . . .

"today we are here to commemorate a special cause. something that hasn't been done in this upbeat city, with increasing improvements. yet this, this is something we shall be thankful for" the mayor smiles as the crowd of citizens explode into cheer.

i stand on top of the truck and watch the scene.

"can we please have Trisha Malik up the stage please?" he calls out my mother. she walks up the stage and stands behind the podium.

"thank you peter. now i would like to say thank you. thank you to everyone who has helped build this facility that will begin to help hundreds of stranded lives in this city" the crowd interrupts her with cheering and clapping, "now can we please have the scissors?" a little girl with blond hair walks to my mom, she bends down and says something in the girl's ear, making her nod with a big smile in her face. my mom lifts up the girl to the height of the ribbon and she cuts it. splitting the purple into half which also meant a loud crowd cheering on.

"casa de vida is now open!" mom shouts.

casa de vida, life house. my mom used to say that a lot. that a house is life. life is a house. four walls that hold in secrets, a door to let the trusted in, windows to let the anger out, a roof to protect us, and rooms where each has its own motive way to advance. basically home is where everything begins in our life.

a line of children of all ages begin to make their way into the building. girls, boys, children, teens, thin, big, everyone in all sizes is in that line.

i make my way to the front of the crowd as its start to subside from the craziness. i see my mom hugging and shaking hands with everyone that passes her making sure to also give them a bright smile. as i watch her i felt my stomach churn and warm up inside.

suddenly, i started to choke up.

she was looking at me and i felt this thing in my neck holding back my words. like it all just came crumbling down.

"zayn..."

. . . .

to be continued...