Chapter 15: Pewter City Gym Part 1

Trinity's POV

Stifling a yawn, I woke up, brushing strands of my red hair out of my face. With difficulty, I finally got up from the bottom bunk, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

I looked at the top bunk, where Vali was at, and saw that he remained slumbering. Maybe he was a heavy sleeper or something.

With a shrug, I allowed him to sleep for a little while longer. There were showers in the Pokemon Center, so I headed toward it to wash up.

After a short—but refreshing—shower, I decided that it was time to wake Vali up.

I stood on the edge of the bottom bunk, climbing up so that Vali and I were eye level. He looked oddly peaceful sleeping. He had a delicate look that was unlike the normally monotone and sarcastic expression he always seemed to have. I had never seen him look so vulnerable. Eevee was sleeping on top of him, snoring softly and cutely.

I softly nudged his arm, beckoning him to wake up.

With a start, he woke up. In his surprise, he turned, somehow rolled above the guardrail, and then fell on the ground. Eevee, who somehow did not get caught up in his rolling path, woke up and looked down from the guardrail, gazing at Vali with big, curious eyes.

For some reason, I found that all funny. I could not contain my smile as I burst into laughter. I got off my bunk bed and knelt over him. "Good morning. How was your morning journey?" I asked him with a slightly teasing tone. It was too funny not to annoy him.

"Painful," he agreed grumpily, "you didn't have to wake me up like that."

"Like what?" I asked. "All I did was nudge you softly."

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah. Jeez, what was that all about." I couldn't stop laughing.

"Good morning to you, too." He grumbled, glaring at me.

Despite his glowering, I continued to laugh at him. When I calmed down, I said: "Make sure to wash up. We have to challenge the gym today."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." He yawned softly and got up, rubbing the spots that took the brunt of the fall.
"Eevee?" Eevee said with a questioning tone, obviously worried for her trainer.

"I'm fine, Eevee." He said, giving her a smile. It always surprised me how much Eevee could cheer Vali up. It was one of the only times when I would see Vali seem genuinely happy. He always had such a serious demeanor.

After the morning's excitement, Vali went to shower. When he got back, Pikachu had woken up. The four of us went to the cafeteria to eat breakfast.

After another meal that drained our pockets significantly, we—with some trepidation—finally headed out to challenge our first gym.

Our target was Brock.

After a brisk walk, we stood in front of the gym's entrance. With deep breaths, we opened the door and entered.

The interior was rocky. The walls and the ceiling had the webbed surface that rocks usually had. A path led to the end of it. Laced on both sides of path were rock gardens that made beautiful shapes. A myriad of rocks of all type were strewed around it, making each rock garden unique.