Chapter 13: A Heartfelt Discussion

Vali's POV

I have to say, Trinity really knows how to have a good battle.

Before my very eyes, I watched as she went from doubting herself to being so tenacious to the point where she stopped fearing the possibility of losing and just went for it.

And now she has a sassy Ralts on her team. They go well together.

Our trek through Viridian Forest was surprisingly peaceful—no Beedrills attacked us, we didn't run into anymore tribes protected by powerful pokemon. Nothing.

What we did find was a bunch of bug catcher kids who were using Bug-type pokemon. They challenged us to a battle.

The two of them looked the exact same—both had a blue cap, green shirt, and blue shorts. Oh yeah, both were named Joey. The only difference was that both used a different pokemon.

"Metapod! Use Harden," Bug Catcher Joey #1 said.

Metapod, who was an insect-like pokemon that resembled a green chrysalis, stood still for a second, its body gaining a metallic shine. That was it. Harden only raised the defense of the user, making it more durable to attacks. But for weak pokemon like Metapod, it wouldn't really do much.

I sighed, "Ralts, use Disarming Voice."

"Ralts!" she said in a singsong voice, pink energy radiating from her. It slammed into the Metapod, taking it out in one turn. Harden was useful against physical attacks, but it was futile against special attacks like Disarming Voice.

"How did you win?" Bug Catcher Joey #1 asked as he returned Metapod into its pokeball.

"I'm shocked too," I said sarcastically, "it was a tough battle."

I watched Trinity fight Bug Catcher Joey #2, who was using a Kakuna, which was a yellow, insect cocoon-like pokemon that had eyes.

"Kakuna! Harden!" Joey #2 said.

"And, here we go again," I muttered.

Despite the snooze fest of a battle, Trinity looked as determined as ever.

"Alright, Ralts. Use Zen Headbutt!" she ordered.

"Ralts!" he said with fire. He leapt toward the Kakuna with a purple light above his head, bashing it with it.

Kakuna was knocked out instantly.

"What? Kakuna should have had the ultimate defense!" Bug Catcher Joey #2 said.

"Same as Metapod!" Bug Catcher Joey #1 agreed.

Then they looked at us with looks of defeat. "Just you wait! We'll come back stronger!" then they ran away.

I had a funny feeling we were never going to see them again.

"Well, that was something," I said with a deadpan.

"You got to give them credit for trying," Trinity said.

"True."

We returned both Ralts to their pokeball, continuing our journey across Viridian Forest. I was seriously getting tired of this. Being a pokemon trainer was just walking, walking, walking. I wish I had a pokemon to ride on or something. Hell, I would even take Cynthia's Garchomp. Anything!

Well, guess I just had to get used to this. Maybe I should look for a Flying-type pokemon?

Eventually, the sun was nothing but an afterthought as its ghostly reflection replaced it, casting never-ending darkness upon the world.

For some reason, I'd always felt an odd comfort whenever I was in the embrace of the shadows. I remember Cynthia once saying that our family has, for the most part, always had a connection with the shadows, whatever the hell that meant. She never elaborated. Still, I found it annoying that I shared so many traits with her. Why couldn't I look more like my dad?