Chapter 9: Trouble in Viridian Forest

Beginning of "Badge Collection Arc" (Major Arc)

Route 2 was a path with multiple twists and turns, the transition from field to forest obvious. The sun was setting slowly but surely, making the horizon shine in an ever-expanding mesh of orange and purple, casting beautiful rays around us.

"Iron Tail!" Trinity shouted as Pikachu faced down a Caterpie.

"Pika!" his tail became metallic as it struck Caterpie, knocking it out in one hit.

Meanwhile, Eevee and I were fighting a Kakuna, who was firing a String Shot at her.

"Eevee, Tackle to dodge it!" I ordered.

Eevee nimbly dashed away from the shot of string with its burst of speed, maneuvering around the Kakuna.

"Swift."

"Vee!" she yapped as she flicked a stream of stars at Kakuna, battering it with a golden shower.

"Kuna!" it said as it fainted at last.

Trinity and I looked at our handiwork, looking satisfied as we did. Normally, a trainer would catch a wild pokemon when they are weakened, but the two of us were looking for new additions to the team that... felt right? I didn't know how to explain it. But we wouldn't just catch any pokemon.

"This is boring," Trinity complained.

'Pika, Pika." Pikachu agreed.

I nodded, "But it's practice for what's to come."

"Are the rumors about Viridian Forest true?' Trinity asked.

From what we'd heard, Viridian Forest is filled with rare and non-native pokemon. Take the Ursaring for example; it's native to the Johto Region, but that didn't stop it from attacking our school. I knew for a fact that it came from Viridian Forest.

"Well, the Ursaring did come from Route 2, which leads to and from Viridian Forest." I shrugged. "So I guess it's true."

"So, we'll have to figure it out?" Trinity asked.

"Pretty much."

"Great," Trinity grumbled.

After another while of walking, we finally made it to the gate that led to Viridian Forest. It was something like a terminal.

"Oh, finally!" Trinity sighed in relief.

"We didn't even walk that much," I reminded her.

She glared at me, "We have been walking for hours and it's almost night. Jeez, are you even human?"

"No, I'm actually a pokemon." I said sarcastically.

"You're annoying sometimes."

"Good to know."

We both looked at each other blankly, before bursting into laughter.

"Alright, let's set up camp after we make a little bit of progress in Viridian Forest," I suggested.

Trinity nodded, "Yeah, that's a good idea."

We entered the terminal, showing our pokedex, which held our identification, to the guard sitting at the desk. When we finished, we headed outside and finally entered Viridian Forest.

The forest was, to say the least, beautiful. The moonlight made the lush canopy of trees glimmer with a silvery sheen. I saw many different pokemon that I never expected to see.

A group of Teddiursas, pokemon that looked like baby Ursarings, milled about, collecting berries from trees. A Koala-like pokemon with gray fur holding a wooden log called Komala was snoozing on a tree. A flock of BeautifIys were flying around, happily shouting "Beauti!" I saw a huge assortment of pokemon that shouldn't even be in Kanto, but yet here they were.