* chapter 19 *

.....

"Every lord, knight and twopenny King worth his salt will be at this betrothal! The Lioness of Cintra herself will sing the praises of Jaskier's triumphant performance!"

"Jask - how many of these lovely lords want your inflated head?" Antea questioned, a smirk growing on her face.

"Hard to say - one stops keeping count after a while... Wives, concubines, mothers sometimes." He shrugged, and Geralt whipped his head towards him and scowled. Jaskier's face lit up; 

"Oooh, yes - that face! Pwoah - scary face! No lord in his right mind will come close if you're standing next to me with a puss like that!" 

"He does look quite mean when he puts his face all scrunched up like that, doesn't he?" Antea smiled.

Geralt softened his gaze, and huffed. He reached for a cup of ale, but Jaskier snatched it away.

"On second thoughts, Geralt - might want to lay off the Cintran ale - a clear head would be best." He grimaced.

Geralt gruffed, "I will not suffer tonight sober just because you hid your sausage in the wrong royal pantry! I'm not killing anyone - not over the petty squabbles of men." He turned away from the bard.

Antea looked at the witcher and smiled at the thought of him rejecting violence. Maybe there was good in him. As she looked at him, his gaze met hers, and his frame became less tense.

"Yes yes yes... you never get involved." Jaskier interrupted, "Except you do - all the time." He rolled his eyes, and Geralt frowned. "Ugh - is this what happens when you get old? You get unbearably crotchety and cantankerous?"

Antea chuckled, and locked eyes with Geralt, making him smile. "I have always wonder - do witchers retire?" She asked him, as she walked behind a curtain to change her clothes.

"When they slow and get killed." He answered bluntly.

"Come on Geralt, you must want something for yourself once all this - monster hunting - nonsense is over with?" Jaskier asked, and Geralt shook his head. 

"I want nothing." He spoke solemnly. 

"Well, who knows?" Jaskier quipped, "Maybe theres somebody out in the world that could want you." His eyes darted towards the curtain where Antea was changing, which made Geralt narrow his eyes at Jaskier.

"I need no one. And the last thing I want, is someone needing me." He said monotonously. He had spoken the lines before, but they felt strange leaving his mouth now. 

"Well then, I'm off to check on my mare." Antea spoke as she emerged from the curtain. 

Geralts expression dropped as he watched the girl walk out of the room, slamming the door after her. He whipped his head around to Jaskier, who gave him a pitying look.

"I need to get changed." Geralt grunted, "Jaskier... Where the fuck are my clothes."

"Ah, well they were covered in Selkimore guts, sent them to be washed. Besides, you're not going tonight as a witcher..." Jaskier grinned as he presented him with a blouse. "Well, I'll leave you to dress... you and your friend." he smirked and pointed downwards before darting away.