~ chapter 1 ~

The light shone upon my face, and I opened my bright green eyes and gazes through thick lashes around the room I had lived in for the past 3 years. Ever since my father left on a merchant's trail, and failed to return, I was on my own. My mother died giving birth to me, so I never knew  her, but my father told me I had her eyes, which made me glad in a way.

I stood, the wooden bed creaking below me. The room in the inn was average. It had just enough room for me and my belongings. I was eternally grateful to Stjepan for allowing me to stay here, free of charge. Of course, I would have to work to pay my way, but he allowed me to keep a small amount of my earnings for each day, so I couldn't complain. It's not as though I wasn't somewhat wealthy. Selling my childhood home was, of course, a difficult ordeal, but it had its benefits.

I walked to my dresser and picked up the outfit I wore every day for work. A simple white blouse, a teal corset and a thick brown skirt, which reached just above my ankles. unfortunately not long enough to cover my foot wraps. Just because I HAD the money doesn't mean  I was going to waste it on something as materialistic and new shoes, or a new blouse - although, the white garment was more of a cream now. No, I was saving for my adventure. Soon, I would have enough money to leave this city, and find my own way in life. Destiny had something planned for me - I was sure of it.

"Antea, it's noon, get out here" Stjepan called.

I rushed to put on my clothes and quickly put my ebony black hair into an up do, letting a few pieces fall around my olive-toned face, to frame it. Walking down the stairs, I could already hear the hall was busy with people. As usual, I brought people their beverages, sometimes engaging in small chit-chat with the regulars, when all of a sudden a man burst through the door of the inn. He looked distraught - his tunic was ripped and he was covered in sweat.

"Wolves!" he cried. "Wolves in the street!"

There was immediate panic in The Alchemy. Men and women running from the inn, walking over each other in a scramble to escape. Idiots, I thought, it would be much safer in here, since, you know, the wolves are in the streets you're so desperately fleeing to? I was suddenly knocked over, the ale on my tray toppling over and landing on top of me. My curses could hardly be heard of the frantic shouting of the townspeople.

Frustrated, I stood, and smoothed down my skirt before making my way to the door of the tavern. Stjepans calls for me could be heard behind me, and I turned and gave him a grateful smile before walking into the middle of the street, to be met with a loud growl.

The street was empty, except for myself and the large wolf in front of me, baring its teeth. I was glad it was only one - more would have taken more concentration. I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. When I opened them, just as usual, the wolf was glowing with a slight green tinge, and  I could only assume my eyes were doing the same. The wolf sat, and wagged it's tail. I approached it and smiled.

"Hey there, what're you doing so far into the city fella?" I asked him, scratching him in-between the eyes.

"The big man smelled of venison, I just followed him but he attacked me, so I defended myself. I think I nipped him..." I heard the voice clearly in my head, as the wolf looked up at me with sad eyes.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a vendor's cart, and grabbed a piece of rabbit before feeding it to the wolf.

"I would think it best that you stayed out of the city little one, the people here wouldn't take kindly to you." I said with a smile, before the wolf went on it's way.

Slowly, people began to re-emerge into the street, where I was met with glares and hateful murmurings. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to face Stjepan, who looked shocked. I smiled sadly at him, before staring at the ground. I awaited my punishment. The names people gave people like me were nearly as bad as the punishments, but I would rather the latter. Instead of the spiteful words I expected to leave Stjepan's mouth, I heard;

"Let's hear it for Antea! She drove the beast away!"

He was met with lots of cheers and whoops, as I let out a yelp as I was hoisted into the air by the men in the street. A smile adorned my face and the sun hit my face from a new angle, but as I looked around, my smile was met with a frown as I couldn't help noticing that some villagers were still whispering.