Chapter 37: The Greatest Strength

The group packed away their bags in silence, but their moods stayed stagnant in the air.

Katara and Zuko sheepishly packed away their things, avoiding eye contact with the others. They spared small glances to one another, keeping them hidden from the others. Even through Sokka's anger, they were not regretful of what they did. They were in fact quite proud. But that didn't stop them from lying low away from her brother, trying to stay out of more crossfire.

Aang watched Katara with remorse on his face, but there was underlying hint of jealousy. It was a punch to the gut that she decided to take this adventure with Zuko instead of him. It was something she could have and should have trusted him with. He would have taken the fall for her, let Sokka place the blame on him. He was the Avatar after all, saving people and helping people was in the job description.

Meanwhile, Sokka was the easiest to read. He cast anger filled glares across the campsite and huffed as he tied up his sleeping bag. His eyes flickered between Zuko and Katara, trying to read them individually. As mad as he was about the village, he was more furious that Zuko and Katara were off by themselves.

What did they talk about? Is something happening between them?

Zuko saved Katara and Aang, Sokka couldn't deny that. But being with his sister was a whole different discussion. Zuko was still a fire bender. He was still the guy that chased them around the world. One good decision doesn't erase every bad one before then.

He understood why Katara did what she did, even though he didn't agree. He knew her too well to think she could just leave people in need behind. He was kicking himself that he hadn't seen it before.

But why Zuko? Why not Aang? Or Toph even? Why was Zuko so keen to help her?

He knew he had to keep a closer eye on them, whatever that may mean. He promised to protect her all those years ago, and teenage firebenders were high on that danger list, even if this one may be after her heart and not her life.

As they threw their bags on to Appa, Katara gazed out towards the village, hoping they would be okay and she did the right thing. She hoped to hear about them one day; how they chased the soldiers out of town or how they fought back.

But over the sounds of Appa's grumbling and bags being strapped into the saddle, she heard a hum, slowly getting louder. She frowned, walking towards the cliffs edge, and just peeking out over the horizon were motorboats heading towards the village. Even from her distance, she could see the red and metal uniforms of the Fire Nation.

Katara audibly gasped, causing the others to look over towards her. Sokka walked over first, seeing the boats heading for the village.

"What did you do?!" Sokka accused Katara immediately. She gaped for a moment, before speaking, "We kinda destroyed their factory..."

Sokka cut off any explanation she was forming, "You what?!" but Katara accused back, in the nature of siblings, "It was your idea!" she rebuttled.

He looked slightly taken aback but still angry, "I was joking! I made funny noises!" he rubbed his forehead, "Did you even think this through?! The army is going to blame the villagers. They're headed there right now to get revenge"

Katara spoke up, "Well what was I supposed to do?" to which Sokka had an immediate answer, "Leave! Do nothing" he told her as if it was an obvious answer. Katara stopped in her tracks, furrowed her brow and turned to him.