Chapter 27: The Prison Fire

Katara felt like a zombie when the doors clicked open, her brain melded to mush as she tried and failed to count the passing minutes.

She didn't fight them as they grabbed her by the armpits and whisked her from the room. She noticed how they carefully avoided her injured wrist. She assumed it was only at the request of the Fire Lord.

He would want her as undamaged as possible.

She tried her best to keep her eyes trained on the ground, but curiosity bested her as her eyes shifted up to look around. She recognized guards that she had encountered while she was disguised.

She could tell the difference between those she knew and those she didn't. The guards she never met looked at her with disgust, only having heard the story of how she fooled them all. The others didn't meet her eyes as she was pulled along. They simply looked at the floor in embarrassment, not wanting to admit themselves that a mere water tribe girl had fooled them.

A few met her gaze with looks of apology, but they were for her eyes alone as they shifted back to a grimace the moment another guard saw them.

They kept moving until she was marched to the courtyard. Prisoners were already gathered in a circle, surrounding something she could not yet see.

"Move!" The guards holding her yelled, pushing through the prisoners until she had a front row seat.

A pile of wood sat on the concrete, stacked neatly into a teepee. At the top, one longer piece of wood stood out and tied to it was Zuko.

His entire body was wrapped into the rope, allowing him no room to move his hands or arms to bend.

By the time he could move them, it would be to late.

Katara made eye contact with him as she was forced to the front of the crowd. She noticed how Zuko scanned her for any injuries from her interrogation with Azula. She tried to give him a reassuring smile, but it fell on deaf ears. She hadn't given up hope he would be saved but she could tell that he had.

For a moment, she didn't blame him.

But that didn't stop her from looking up at the sky, scanning for a white fluffy bison to fly overhead.

Katara looked around for her brother, hoping that Azula made him come as well. She let out a breath when she saw him a few paces away, being held by two similar guards to herself.

He kept his eyes trained on the floor, not meeting her gaze. She understood why.

They were being watched.

She looked back at Zuko and mouthed,

It'll be okay

She hoped it would bring some comfort to him. He gave her a small smile, letting her know that he saw it.

More guards pushed past the crowd, forming a circle around the fire pit. They got into bending positions, ready to strike.

Katara looked up at to the sky, pretending to pray as she scanned for the bison once more.

Aang!! Where are you?!?

She thought to herself, knowing they didn't have much time left.

Azula pushed past the guards and moved to stand in front of her brother. Zuko looked down at her, but there was no emotion in his eyes.